dual core cpue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

edgar818

I want to buy a dual core intel but what kind of board do i need. Like does the dual core motherboard have 2 slots for a proccesor?
Can someone please help me out.

You need a Socket775 motherboard, preferably with the Intel 955X chipset. A dual-core processor only uses one socket, that's the point of it having two cores.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
No, since its only one physical processor package the motherboard only needs one socket.

Have you looked at prices at yet? Cheapest Pentium D processor I've seen is around $260 and that was a 2.8Ghz one.

You need a socket 775 motherboard that supports the Pentium D dual core processors.
Something like an ASUS P4WD2 or ABIT AW8-MAX.

edgar818 said:
I want to buy a dual core intel but what kind of board do i need. Like does the dual core motherboard have 2 slots for a proccesor?
Can someone please help me out.
chek my specs below. I have used the EM64 640 :eek:

Arcadion said:
The 640 isn't dual-core ;)
Ok you are right. It is at least emulating 64bit and from the sounds of the reviews I have read the dual cores are not performing as well as expected ;)

64bit and dual-core are two totally different concepts, they could make a 32bit dual-core CPU if they wanted.

edgar818

rit now r the dualys 64 bit or not im gettin confused. And how come the amd opertons have 2 sockets for the cpu

The dual-core P4s and Athlon64s available now are all 64bit, as far as I can tell.

You can get single, dual and quad Opteron motherboards. You put one CPU in each socket.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online