1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-Core questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

How does Dual-Core actually work, cos Ive just upgraded my laptop cpu as so...

replaced
    AMD64 Turion 2Ghz / 512K L2 Cache SINGLE CORE

for
    AMD64 Turion 2x 1.6Ghz / 2 x 256K L2 Cache DUAL CORE

Now i know the upgrade is slightly slower but with two cores it should 'in theory' work better but im just thinking do you get 2 cores working at 1.6Ghz each OR is 800Mhz each giving the total 1.6Ghz performance??

Now since upgrading I tested ...

MP3 conversion:
    SINGLE-CORE 1:58 to converts 23 tracks
    DUAL-CORE 2:15 to convert 23 tracks

Video Conversion:
    SINGLE-CORE: 65 minutes to convert AVI -> DVD (on full speed windows froze)
    DUAL-CORE: 30 minutes to convert AVI -> DVD (on full speed Windows was fully responsive

Passmark Test program shows LESS CPU power but the free version doesnt have dual-support and is working from one core - perhaps the mp3 conversion also was given 1 core by windows but the DVD conversion definatley used both cores

Im trying to better understand how the processor works cos Im trying to determine if my new processor is actually any better???

Ive just been running an application thats using 80%-100% of one core but on the single core chip it barely used any?? so are dual-core REALLY as good as theyre made out to be?
    I get the feeling that instead of having two cores working at 1.6Ghz each you actually get a CPU with 1.6Ghz of power spread between 2 cores - making them not as powerfull as made out to be

thats said i definatley wouldnt swap back.... overall responsives seems to be lot better

whats others thoughts??

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have two cpu cores running @1.6.

The os does split core affinity to some extent. Some apps are designed to use multi core/multi cpu. Next did you reinstall windows when you did this swap? If not, there is a chance that your os is still using a single core HAL. You can check this is device mgr under computer.

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

no i didnt re-install but after installing CPU it detected the dual-core and installed it then restarted the laptop
    im def. happy with it - i mean it was only £20 on ebay.. will do until a better Turion becomes available cheap - summit like 2 x 2.2Ghz with 2 x 512Kb L2

like you say software designed with dual-core will work better than the OS splitting the Task

what would i be looking for in Dev Manager?

under processor it has 2 lots of AMD Turion 64 x 2

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are referring to the bios detecting the cpu; that is not windows detecting and using the correct HAL. You need to check this in order to make sure you are actually getting the benefit of the dual core. As posted check what it says under computer in device mgr.

5. DaChew

DaChew

try dvdflick for an avi conversion

I don't know anyone with dual core that wants to swap back or downgrade

remember multithreaded apps use more ram

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

SO ive checked Dev Man and under computer it says: ACPI x86 Based PC
    and under processor it has AMD Turion TL-50 Dual Core x2 (twice)
    I have dual-core monitor gadget in sidebar and tested an AVI conversion which was twice as quick and windows was still responsive when on fast (VSO-XtoDVD)

I also upgraded to a bigger faster hard drive and doubled the RAM to 2Gb , coupled with my new ADSL2+ Broadband connection Ive got quite a fast setup

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice