1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Core upgrade: do i need to re-install VISTA for correct HAL?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by paulb100, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I upgraded to dual-core in laptop over a week ago and while it shows 2 processors in Device Manager and I do see benefits from dual-core my sidebar gadget shows both cores at work and i can set which core runs processes in Task Manager but ive been told I may have to change the HAL...

ive checked in Devmgmt and it says ACPI 86x Based-PC (in Vista) theres no mention of Multiprocessor PC ... I dunno if this is right or not..

Task manager shows both cores

what do I do???

THANKS

2. RevisionZero

RevisionZero

Who is what is telling you to change the HAL, the HAL for a Windows based PC just comes down to basically motherboard drivers.

From the sounds of it, nothing is wrong, or broken so could you elaborate please.

Thank you paulb100

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

crjdriver said that if i hadn't re-installed Windows on my laptop after installing the dual-core processor that it may still be running under old HAL ...??

Like I say it shows that its working fine , I think MultiProcessor under computer in dvmgmt is just a Windows XP thing not Vista

thanks ...

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

In Task Manager, on the Performance tab, do you see TWO graphs for CPU Usage history, or just one? If only one, check View | CPU History, and see if you can set it to one graph per CPU. If you can, you should be good to go. If you can't, then you will need to update the HAL.DLL file.

For Vista, start msconfig, goto boot tab, click Advanced Options. If Number of processors shows only one, uncheck it if checked, then check Detect HAL. Ok back to desktop and reboot.

You can then go back into msconfig, goto boot tab, click Advanced Options, and Number of processors should be showing 2. Check the box, uncheck detect HAL, OK this screen, then check Make all boot settings permanent (This will make your current configuration Normal, so if you are currently using msconfig to disable any boot items/services, you will not be able to click Normal Startup to restore them)

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice