1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual core vs core duo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaaos, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

is the speed difference that big

im gona build a new pc

the dual core chios are all on sale should i get dual core or core duo?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Core Duo's are mobile processors. Not for desktops.

For dual core, you want the Core 2 Duo. They're the performance champ these days.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

The Intel (Pentium D) are also dual core using the Smithfield and Presler cores. The latest dual core processors from Intel are the Core 2 Duo using the Allendale and Conroe cores.

Most people today are selecting the Core 2 Duo's in their builds.

4. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a fine choice however I would not buy from TD. Newegg has the same cpu for about $15 less AND the egg is a much better place to do business.

If you do go with the older dual core cpus, use one with the pressler core. It has full EIST support and it will make a big difference in temps.
    Right now I am typing this on a system running a PentiumD 940 and it is running @29C.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Crj is so right especially when you look at the freight charges Tiger adds. Even if TG manages to be less on price, and they are nbot here, their freight can be as high as triple that of Newegg. You can alo look at ZipZoomFly as they usually have a slightly higher price but with free freight can be way less. Newegg has the absolute best customer service though.

7. SOFwhitewolf

SOFwhitewolf

i prefer TD over newegg based on my own experience's, but yes the E6600 is by far the best value for the buck based on the 4m cache, that the 6400 and the 6300's do not have

8. twizzie

twizzie

Newegg is really the best, and thats not an opinion ha, they say its 3-day shipping, all my orders come in under 2 days

9. SOFwhitewolf

SOFwhitewolf

my 3 day orders come in 7 days, no joke

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

2 days for Newegg here!

11. twizzie

twizzie

sometimes the orders get delayed because they get re-routed to another factory. For example if you're in NJ, your order maybe re-routed to the California factory, instead of coming rom NJ or Tennesee.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, I can see why since TD wants $343 for the cpu shipped and the egg wants $316 for the same cpu shipped. :D :D :D

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

The only difference I find between Ca and Nj is one day. So ca gets here in 3 days instead of 1 or 2. I thinbk a lot of that has to do with the difference between received and notice of intent to ship too.

14. silvershield

silvershield

Personally I would use Dual Core (AMD). I've just had better luck with AMDs, I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core right now, and it works great!!

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

It really depends on what you are going to do on the pc as to seeing the difference.
    I run several small businesses including pc repair, test software, and occasionally write.
    I never do games and other than some occasional graphics in Photoshop, am not a "heavy" user.
    I have a Core2 Duo 6400 with 2 gig of ram and Raptor hdd and a Socket 939 4800 Athlon dual core with same 2 gig of ram and Raptor hdd. I see absolutely no difference in the overall performance but would have to say I feel a little quicker response actually from the Amd machine. I have been a long term Intel diehard that first went to Amd last year and have built several dual cores there before recently building a Core 2 Duo so I really if anything would be more prejudiced towards Intel than Amd by background.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice