1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Core?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steroids, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steroids

Steroids Thread Starter

Ok im thinking about getting an amd x2 4400. And i have been reading in some articles that on some games that you have to set the processor to run single core? I was wondering, does this happen on every game you play or not and is it easy or hard to change between the two. And finally is it worth it? I wil be multitasking and everything else but is it worth it to have to change from dual core to single core? I really am not sure on anything on this subject so anything yo can tell me would be greatful

Thanks.
    Steroids

2. onsite

onsite

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Every game I have ever run has run fine on my dual core processor.
    AMD has also released a dual core optimization utility to improve performance and some issues encountered by some, you can download it from the AMD website.

FYI, at 2.2Ghz with 1MB of L2 cache the X2 4400+ a blazing fast processor even when utilitizing only one core.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Got a link for the AMD utility? :)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Thanks. :)

7. GripS

GripS

Dramatic price drop on dual cores at the end of this month to compete with the Intel Core duo's. So don't buy one just yet.

With the recent dual core optimizer combined with the latest processor driver you shouldn't have any issues with gaming. Future games along with a few games that are out already are multithreaded which is perfect for a dual core. Definitely go with a dual core when you purchase your processor.

Intel's core duo would be the best choice IMO but that's only going off of preliminary benchmarks. In general it's best to wait until the technology matures but it seems intel is about to regain the speed crown in all areas of computing.

8. KingCody

KingCody

for a short while... yes ;)

AMD next gen CPU (the K8L) has several advantages over Conroe, but it's not due until late 2007 or ealry 2008!! :eek:

so the question is will Intel be able to keep the crown the conroe is expected to win back ;)

9. Steroids

Steroids Thread Starter

YA thanks alot, i had known that the prices where gonna drop so taht is what im waiting for then i can actually afford the freakin thing and i will own even worse in Swat, Thanks again guys

10. Steroids

Steroids Thread Starter

So if I download the optimiser everything will be ok? Or is it more complicated than that?

11. GripS

GripS

Optimizer+Processor driver= You'll be just fine. I'm running a dual core myself and have no issues.

12. Steroids

Steroids Thread Starter

where is the processor driver thing at i didnt see it in the links... And ty again

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

Sure it is, near the bottom: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2

14. Steroids

Steroids Thread Starter

alright thanks, I dont know how i missed that but thanks

15. Steroids

Steroids Thread Starter

Ok i am having this computer built and im looking for the parts but im having a problem finding a Amd 4400+2.2ghz Am2 Socket, I have found a few prcessors that are amd at some sites and a lot of socket 939's, I mainly looked at tigerdirect.com , and newegg.com. But i did do a search on goolge for some but i dont know what sites can be trusted and im trying to keep the price in the range of $460-$490. And i know the price is going to get cut but this will keep the price even lower so if anybody can give me any details on a good site with a socket am2 for the 4400, WOULD BE GREAT. I can ttell ya enough how much is site helps me btw... O and i have also been looking for a motherboard that is amd and SLI ready, pci express slots and enough for like 4 gigs of ram and also no luck, this is the first time i have ever done anything like this so im not very good at it... So if anyone could again give me a link to a legit site With not a TOOOOOO High f price- in the low low $100 and if not under a $100? I would be the most greaat ful EVEEEEEEEERRRR I had everything all set out untill i had to ge the ram and remebred that it only takes DDr ram and i have been lookin all day to find this stuff but im not sure wheat are good sites... And if i cant get the Proccesor with Am2 and the motherboard that is sli ready i guess ill have to stick with the ddr ram not the ddr2 ram.So sorry and if u think im dumb for asking i would understand that to.. LOL

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice