1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Cores Sold Working as Single Cores!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KevinBumber, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KevinBumber

KevinBumber Thread Starter

Well, I've heard something today that struck me as odd. A lot of AMD processors that are sold in laptops and desktops are sold with with cores disabled. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I work at Best Buy and my manager told me that a lot of the AMD processors are sold with a core disabled by default.

I've been searching the web for an explanation as to why AMD would sell their processors like that but can't find anything. Does anyone know why dual core AMD processors would be set to work as single cores by default?

2. jdean

jdean

This kind of thing is not at all unusual in the computer industry. There could be a variety of reasons, here are a couple off the top of my head:
    - one core is damaged or not up to spec
    - there is a shortage of the single core machines and AMD has commitments to meet
    - due to the economies of scale, it might be cheaper to have a single "production line" instead of two.

3. KevinBumber

KevinBumber Thread Starter

The dual cores mentioned are advertised as dual cores. Both cores are operational and are sold as such. After a little more digging it looks like this might be a feature that Vista implements.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The Tri-cores that AMD came up with are quads with one failure. Never heard of it applying to dual cores but as jdean mentioned, its not uncommon to have one production run for economic reasons and then disable, or never enable certain features in the exact same chip to sell at different pricepoints.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice