1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual ddr

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crylynx, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

Hi all

Got a asus P4P800-VM board http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-vm/overview.htm as a freeby from a freind. Was wandering if I could put dual channel ddr 400 and run a cpu that is 400mhz. Can the ram be clocked down it says at the cpu speed of 400mhz to use 266 ram. Wanna later, when I can afford it upgrade the cpu. Was just gonna gut my sons dell which has a p4 1.8 at 400mhz and only 256mb of pc2100 ram to give him a well needed speed boost.

Thanks
    Crylynx

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

In an Athlon when you put over rated ram in it the ram clocks down to speed unless you intentionally clock it higher. I would figure a Pentium would have the same protection, if not better protection than an Athlon.

I'd wait for a Pentium user to verify this but I am sure it will work fine.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

It should work fine. Download and run memtest86 (www.memtest.org) on the machine after you've installed the RAM to be sure.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can run a 400, 533, or 800Mhz FSB Intel CPU on that motherbaord. For RAM you can run 266Mhz, 333Mhz, or 400Mhz DDR in either single channel(one stick) or Dual channel(two sticks). You shouldn't have a problem running a 400Mhz FSB, 1.8Ghz P4 with PC2100.

5. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

Hi Triple6

I want to run the 400Mhz FSB, 1.8Ghz P4 with dual PC3200. 2X512
    Later upgrade the cpu

6. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The cache is on the CPU so it'll be whatever is on your CPU, in your case its 256KB.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice