1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual DVI cable and onboard graphics for 3 monitors

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Jamesfb, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jamesfb

Jamesfb Thread Starter

Hi,

I've got a dual monitor pc running off a dual-dvi cable connected to a separate graphics card. I recently got a new monitor and want to put it in between the two existing ones. Am I able to just plug the new monitor into the VGA port of my computer? How would I configure my pc to do this?

Thanks in advance,

James

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You would need to check the specs of the computer's motherboard to see if it supports running the built-in video controller simultaneously with a graphics card. Some motherboards automatically disable the on board video when a plug in video card is detected.

3. Jamesfb

Jamesfb Thread Starter

it's a dell optiplex gx620, if I make a note of any settings I change (and am very moderately tech savvy) would it be advised to play around with the bios settings to see if I can get it to enable?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    What happens if you plug the monitor into the built-in VGA port without messing with the BIOS?

5. Jamesfb

Jamesfb Thread Starter

when I plug it in and the pc is running it doesn't work, i tried restarting it with them all plugged in and the onboard vga one started up - but it said something about having another graphics card allocated and to restart the pc.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It may be time to see if there is a BIOS setting that supports using the built-in and plug-in graphics card at the same time.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice