1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Graphics Cards Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beanboy, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beanboy

beanboy Thread Starter

I have an Asus P5N-E SLI mobo and an 8800GT installed - all works fine.

I want to run three screens using SoftTH so have to install a second graphics card (not in SLI).

With the Asus, it has a little daughterboard that needs to be reversed to allow the second PCI-E slot to work for graphics (SLI or Not SLI) - it basically splits the 16x channel into two 8x channels.

So, with the daughterboard in dual graphics card mode, when I put the second graphics card in the PC refuses to boot. I get a beep code error (1 long 3 short beeps) which indicates a graphics failure. If I remove the second 8800 but leave the daughterboard set for two graphics cards, I get the same problem.

Switch the daughterboard for single graphics and the single card works fine.

Only things that I can see that may be wrong is:

>CPU is mildly overclocked but rock solid - could that be an issue?
    >BIOS stated something about my DDR2 RAM not being 'SLI Ready' - don't have any other RAM to swap out and try.

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong, or how I can get the PC to boot with a second graphics card installed?

Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the new video card work in the first slot with the old card removed?

3. beanboy

beanboy Thread Starter

Hi,

yep, both cards work fine individually. Just get boot failure when the daughterboard card is in "two graphics card" mode....

Hope you can help.

Thx

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Have you checked Asus for any relevant BIOS updates. There have been BIOS updates on that board to improve compatibility with certain video cards and SLI mode changes.

5. beanboy

beanboy Thread Starter

BIOS upgrades are always my final option

[Had a scare with a BIOS upgrade years ago and never forgot the experience - old PC had intermittent power failures and the manufacturers advice was to upgrade BIOS! Power failed as I was upgrading, luckily it must have just finished as the PC was OK - as expected it made no difference, except to my heart rate and blood pressure!]

I think I'll try that next though.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice