1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matrix_unloaded, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matrix_unloaded

matrix_unloaded Thread Starter

I have a machine that has one graphics card at the moment. It is a Dell XPS 430. The system has 3GB RAM and Intel Quad core processor at 2.33GHz. The graphics card is ATI Radeon HD4670 at 512 MB. I am thinking of upgrading to 1GB. I was wondering:
    1. Are Dual Graphics cards better? eg. if I had 2x512MB cards would it be better than 1x1GB card?
    2. If dual are better, can i just put any 512 MB graphics card in the other slot or must I use the exact same model to achieve dual graphics.

Information much appreciated.

2. BG-0

BG-0

2x512 MB (4670) cards are better, 1 GB memory (on a 4670) only gives better performance with high resolutions like 1920x1200, to an extent, as you really can't expect a 50-70 $ card to run a new game really fast on a 24", 300 $ monitor.
    I am still pretty sure a Dell does NOT support CrossfireX, which would be needed to run two cards at the same time to improve performance. Get a better card (not more memory, but actually better). Radeon 4770, 4870, 4890, Geforce GTS250, GTX260. Be aware that you will need a better power supply to be able to use these cards. You will also need a better ventilated case than a Dell case so that they won't overheat.

3. matrix_unloaded

Okay, well The computer has a 480 Watt power supply. Will that be enough to run 2x512 MB Graphics cards? My monitor is 21". If i can't run crossfireX, should i just get a 1GB card?

4. BG-0

BG-0

No, you shouldn't just get a "1GB card". There are good, and crap 1 GB cards.

Also, post the model of the "480 Watt power supply".

boiling, boiling...

5. matrix_unloaded

I wouldt try and ge the latest nvidia or ati card 1GB. How would i find out the model number? must i open the computer's case?

6. BG-0

BG-0

Open the case, look at the stickers on the side of the power supply, yes.

Which games are you playing/why are you upgrading? I can link a few good cards if you tell that...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice