1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nasTone, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nasTone

nasTone Thread Starter

I have a question that hopefully has an obvious answer. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with 2 hard drives. Last night, I had removed my wifes hard drive from her computer, and removed my slave drive. I then put her drive in place of my slave drive and copied a few files over to my primary hard drive. XP never asked me to install drivers for her drive or anything. When I was done, I then removed her drive and replaced it with my slave. Now, my computer is very sluggish, and won't do much of anything. When I click on Control Panel and Add Hardware, I get an error message saying that I can't access it because it is currently installing a device. I assume it is trying to install the other hard drive. If I open the task manager, system shows 99 and CPU Usage is at 100%.

Please help me. I don't want to reformat my computer. If I need to, then I will, but someone must know an answer.

Thank you in advacnce!!!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It may be possible that you not only copied a few files from your wifes Hard drive you may also have copied a virus. You can do a free system scan for virus's, worms and trojan horses at the Symantech Website under security scan. It detected a worm I had that my Anti Virus didnt. they also have removal tools for many of these maladies that you can download for free.

3. nasTone

nasTone Thread Starter

I don't believe a virus would be the problem, although I will check. I just copied a few .jpg files from our camera that she had stored on her drive. Any other ideas??

4. GordRocks

GordRocks

I would put her hard drive back in and see if it continues to install the HDD. Reboot a couple of times to be sure it's finished the install and then try changing back to your slave drive. All it will cost you is a little time but a lot less than reformatting.

.....Gord

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice