1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheFlash24, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheFlash24

TheFlash24 Thread Starter

Hi, i got an easy one i think. I have 2 HD's running WinXp on 1 computer. One is 40gig and i want to use that one as my main HD for programs. The other is 160gig and that is for testing things like anti-virus software and anti-spam software. Both HD's are formatted with WinXp PRO and i can log into either one no problem. Heres the question. When i go to My computer both hard drives show up (C: & E:) and i dont want that to happen. I want it to work like i can boot and work on 1 HD or restart and work on the other. I dont want them to even know the other is there. Is that possible? If so how? I try to download files on one drive and i point it to install on it but some files still install on the other and it slows that drive down. Please Help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I guess the simplest way without any third party software is to use Disk Management and remove the drive letter of the drive you don't want to be seen.

3. net40

net40

A MS Windows always tries to see all drives. Thus if you have 2 drives with a MS Windows on each of them, then it is likely that one of the drives with Windows (usually with the letter C) on it is the 'primary' drive for the purpose of Windows multiboot options (you can see the options at the startup when pressing F8).
    The only way to not let this happen is to conceal the partitions (or drives) from each other at the time of partitioning and at the time of installing and using Windows on them (hiding and unhiding partitions at the desired time). In this case both partitions may boot with C.

4. TheFlash24

How do i Conceal the drives? I have never seen an option to allow this during the installation.

5. TheFlash24

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/616975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice