Dual hard drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

southerngq

I have a Gateway PC with a 30Gb and 20Gb hard drive. Master and slave respectively.

Is there a way that I can be sure that I am optimizing what is on each and make sure there are no conflicts between them.
Just want to make sure Im getting the bang for my buck.

Thanks

What do you mean by optimizing each drive? If you are talking speed you can defragment and scandisk on a regular basis. Disk cache size helps speed and if you are running Win2K or XP you can move your pagefile to the second hard drive to increase performance a bit. Keep files in consistent locations in dedicated folders also. If they are ATA 100 compatible drives you could get a faster IDE controller to speed up the data access. If it is running now there probably aren't any conflicts.

southerngq

This is my controller:
Promise Technology Ultra66 IDE Controller

Can this be upgraded?
Can the upgrade be downloaded or is it a hardware issue?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online