1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Hard drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roy66, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roy66

roy66 Thread Starter

I already have win XP installed on my computer.
    I want to add the hard drive from my previous computer which contains win98 and all my programs and personal files.

I want to be able to do this installation without losing information and be able to boot into either hard drive.

KISS responses welcome.

Thanking you
    roy66

2. joeAgain------

joeAgain------

Roy66,(how is everything in OZ?)
    You can't just put the other hard drive in as a slave HDD and be able to boot to either O/S(unless you toggle between them thru your BIOS possibly).

The basic procedure for doing what you want is to partition your primary hard drive into 2(or more)partitions. Then you'd use Norton Ghost to transfere your Win98 O/S and programs onto the primary partition(always install the older O/S first)....and then install XP on the extended logical(other)partition of that same hard drive....and reboot.

The computer will recognise 2 O/Ss on the primary HDD and ask you at startup which you want to boot to.

That's how I've done it, basically.

(I'm sure more knowledgable people here can help you in more detail)

3. roy66

roy66 Thread Starter

joeagain,

Thanks for your enquiry as to the land of OZ. I would like to paint a pretty picture but unfortunately this country is experiencing some pretty tough times.

Due to the extended drought conditions of west and central Australia we have young children now who have never seen rain as it has bee quite a number of years in some places since rain has fallen.
    These extremely dry and harsh conditions set the scene for some awesome bush fires with many many folk losing their homes, livestock and in some instances their own lives.
    All of this is now having its impact in the food chains with the downturn in harvesting and meat slaughter....now to top all this off we have your Presidents agenda affecting our fuel prices which will then compound again into the food and retail chain with a further increase in prices.

HOWEVER, on a brighter note...as I look out my window at the moment I am pleased to say that here in QUEENSLAND, the northern state of OZ we are experiencing some long awaited rain which we are fortunate to get due to tropical storms that hit the top end at this time.

IF your President has not blasted our flight path out of existence then we expect to be in Texas June/July.
    We plan to fly into New York in May and drive our way down via Pennsylvania/Ohio/Indiana/Illinois/Missouri/Oklahoma/Texas though haven't determined our return route as yet.
    As we are not able to do a rental to cover that time and travel factor we will need to purchase a suitable vehicle in New York for our trip.

Now..thanks for your tips on dual boot...but you have taken the format road which I am not wanting to travel.
    I have become aware of the necessity to load the oldest program first..but as with everything I've found that there is always a way around things it is just a matter of discovering it for yourself or finding some one who has already been there.

I am not caught in a criscis so am able to wait a while.

thanks again
    roy66

4. marklab

marklab

There are some boot manager utilites that will do this for you.

I did a quick search and found this one

http://www.paragon-gmbh.com/f_bm.htm

It sounds like it will do exactly what you want.

But the point is that it can be done! So! happy searching for your solution.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

6. roy66

roy66 Thread Starter

gotrootdude and marklab,

Sure I stand to be corrected but it seems that you guys also have directed me along the path of multiboot through hard drive partitioning......thanks anyway for your time, trouble and effort.

What I really am after is to be able to overcome my predicament without the use of periphial software and bring the system under control through perhaps an alternative and correct usage of BIOS settings......I do believe it is possible though I am not learned enough.....at this stage...to venture down that path without the assistance of someone who has travelled that road and WON.

There must be folks out there who have beeen there, done that and triumphed.

Failing that .....check this out as a viable alternative.....thanks to Fred Langa.

Check it out here
    and here

roy66

7. marklab

marklab

It seems that the link that I posted earlier is broken. Here is another one. It sonds like it will do what you want also.

Click Here

"Swapping driver ID
    Smart BootManager can boot most operating systems from not only the first hard disk but also others. If you have more than one hard disk in a computer and run different operating systems on each, this feature is very useful. "

8. marklab

marklab

Found this one too. It is free and will allow multiple hard drives too.

Here

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice