1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor issue (S-Vid)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tech13, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tech13

tech13 Thread Starter

I am a computer technician for a fortune 15 company. I have a 62 inch DLP television I decided I would like to use as a monitor to view videos on, rather than streaming it through a server to my ps3 or xbox 360. I have an Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT 256mb graphics card PCI-e. I thought that my television had PC-IN ports so I could use a VGA cable and have no issues, but it turns out I only have S-Vid in so that is what I am using. I know S-vid has a MAX resolution of 480i on my TV and a max of 1024x768 on my vid card. Now, the 480i is fine on my TV, its just that I need my computer to output a higher resolution on my video card to my television, preferably 1280x1024. just so that the text is sharper on my 62 inch. I was thinking there may be a hacked driver for my card to use on guru3d but was unsuccessfull in looking. Would there be any way to get a higher resolution on my 62 inch television without having to purchase component HD cables?

- Yours truly, Tech13

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As far as I know, if you stick with S-Video you stick with that resolution.

3. tech13

tech13 Thread Starter

someone posted, i was excited, but your response has let me down :(... i know im stuck at 480i on my 62 inch, but i should be able to get some hacked driver to let it go higher output for resolution to make it a bit sharper looking, if anything, a higher res would just make junk smaller on my tv... should be some hacked driver or program to force it to higher res

4. dking63

dking63

You could be skating on thin ice legally. Video card drivers are copyrighted materials. That could place it in violation of The Rules.

Category IV Offenses
    Serious Crimes
    Other Illegal Activities - As you might expect, we don't want anything illegal going on here. Users cannot post hacks, cracks, pirated software, or anything of the like. Furthermore, we do not allow instructions on how to complete illegal activities, such as pirating. Please don't ask for advise on using illegal software, as it will be removed.

5. tech13

tech13 Thread Starter

ok, lets re-word it then. "custom made" drivers, because thats what they truly are. and it doesnt have to be a driver, even a software program that would enable me to force a higher resolution output.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

S-Video is output at standard NTSC scan rates, I can't see you getting high quality video out of it.

7. tech13

tech13 Thread Starter

im not asking for high quality, im asking for higher resolution so more stuff fits on the screen.

8. JohnWill

Perhaps you need to re-read post #6, the resolution is fixed for NTSC.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your TV does not have DVI or HDMI either? Its unusual for a big screen not to have one of those and those will allow much higher resolutions and a clearer picture.

10. tech13

tech13 Thread Starter

it has HDMI and hd component, but that wasnt my question, it seems no one can answer it, so i should stop trying to get an answer on this forum.

11. JohnWill

Perhaps you're right. I have answered it multiple times, you just don't like the answer. :rolleyes:

This is one of those things that no matter how many times you ask, the answer is always going to be the same, S-Video doesn't do the trick! What does it take to make that sink in? :confused:

12. tech13

tech13 Thread Starter

S-video is physically limited to 480i, but the resolution should be able to forceably be changed so that it appears smaller on the screen. there is no reason it cant be changed, the quality isnt changing, just the size is.

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You are correct that S-Video is physically limited to 480i

Therefore the physical limit is just that (physical=hardware), the 480i IS the resolution in terms of the hardware.

You have answered your own question (which has also been answered many times above) yet you still appear to want a different answer?

Your problem is analogous to wanting to put 2 gallons of water in a can that only holds 1 gallon.

14. JohnWill

I give up. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/588570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice