1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-monitor issue with Iogear KVM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tx_hawkeye88, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tx_hawkeye88

tx_hawkeye88 Thread Starter

Wasn't sure what the appropriate category was for this post. Please feel free to move it if I have entered this into the wrong category.

I have 2 laptops and one separate monitor. I have an IOGEAR KVM to swap between the two with the separate monitor plugged into the KVM. This separate monitor completes a dual display setup for each of the two laptops. When I toggle between the two laptops, the separate monitor is correctly identified as the second monitor in each configuration.

Here is my issue...when I toggle from laptop 1 (Dell XPS with Windows 7) to laptop 2 (IBM Lenovo T400 with XP Pro), laptop 1 recognizes that all of the windows on the second monitor should stay on the second monitor even though the second monitor is now being used for laptop 2. When I toggle back from laptop 2 to laptop 1, laptop 2 no longer recognizes the the second monitor and kicks all of the second monitor windows to the display of laptop 2. Obviously, laptop 2 believes it is a single monitor setup when the KVM is directed to laptop 1...but the curious thing is that I am using UltraMon on both systems to manage the dual display configuration and the options and settings are the same on both.

Why would one system decide it is suddenly a single display setup when the KVM is pointed to the other laptop, but the other one not behave that way?? Is there perhaps an XP specific or Lenovo setting I need to check somewhere??

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

3. tx_hawkeye88

Thanks for the reply, Noyb....

If I was going to have a problem, I would have expected my issue to be with the Windows 7 laptop also, but it isn't the laptop with Win7 that is causing me the issues. Oddly, it is the laptop with XP Pro SP3. The Dell XPS with Win7 correctly recognizes the dual monitor setup even when the KVM is pointed to the other laptop. It is the Lenovo laptop with XP that seems confused.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I wasn't sure which way the problem was .. I assumed this was the usual W7 KVM problem.
    You're right .. This would not cause a problem with the other XP Laptop.
    I don't have any suggestions here .. Anyone ??

5. tx_hawkeye88

A little additional information on my problem.....just to eliminate possibilities.

I swapped which laptop was connected to what port on the KVM. The Dell (Win7) still properly manages the second monitor when I toggle to the other laptop. The IBM Lenovo also (unfortunately) functions the same even on the different KVM port....that is, when I toggle away from it the windows on the second screen jump back to the primary laptop display.

This for the most part, to me anyway, eliminates the KVM as the culprit. I'm left thinking it is more an XP specific or an IBM Lenovo problem. Perhaps a setting that needs to be tweaked. I'm also more inclined to suspect it is related to the laptop itself and not XP as I think I'd be seeing/finding similar issues posted by others if it was an XP thing.

Any suggestions anyone can offer regarding what the source of my problem might be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

6. KVM_pro

KVM_pro

What's the monitor model connected to the KVM switch ?
    I think the monitor may not support EDID 2.0 standard extension which caused this issue.
    However, I need to know the model of monitor and maker of the monitor to check the detail spec. of the monitor.

7. tx_hawkeye88

The monitor is a Dell. I will have to confirm the model number and other specifics of it when I get home tonight.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice