1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by evogroup, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evogroup

evogroup Thread Starter

I am not too familiar with Windows, but have to work on a project using a Sony Vios running XP.
    I need a 2nd monitor and installed an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI video card along with the factory video card.

I confirmed each card works and can drive either monitor independently. But can't get them to work at the same time.

In the "Display" control panel settings both video cards show up and two monitors are there in the screen arrangement window, but which ever monitor is plugged into the stock video port will not work and is grayed out on the arrangement window. The cursor does not go off the edge of the primary monitor either.

I click the box to enable the second monitor to extend the desktop and when I hit "apply", nothing happens.
    It asks if I want to have the changes take place right away or after re-start, but neither work.
    After restart or any type of setting change, the second monitor goes gray again and the box to extend the desktop is unchecked. It never seems to apply the new settings.

I tried every combination of video card, monitor, primary and secondary settings, but only the new PCI card will work when installed. Remove it and the stock card works again.

I must have the correct drivers since each card will work one at a time. Am I missing a step to adding a second video card?

Thanks.

2. evogroup

evogroup Thread Starter

"If your PC’s graphics capabilities are built into your computer’s motherboard, they will often be disabled when you add a graphics card. You may need to disable it via the system BIOS (Basic Input/Output System)

Does this mean I cannot use my built in video card?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

No that is for turning-off the on board card so you can not use it.

Go to start then help and support - this might take a few minutes to come up so do not worry

Type in the search box dual monitor and do a search for that and you will find some really helpful instructions. You can print the instructions to follow them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!