1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor - only 1 screen recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BetaMale, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BetaMale

BetaMale Thread Starter

Hi - I am trying to setup a dual monitor system and found that I have VGA and DVI Port. I use the VGA port for my primary screen.
    However, when I set up the 2 monitors I receive the following error message on the *second* monitor ie the one attached to the VGA port!

Attn: unsupported config detected:
    This computer has an addin graphics card but the monitor is plugged into the integrated video connector.
    To attach the monitor cable to the add in graphics card
    1. shut down the computer
    2. plug the monitor cable into the addin graphics card connecter which may need an adaptor
    3. reboot.

Are the screens the wrong way round? Why would this matter? Why does the 1st monitor (VGA) work perfectly fine when run as a 1 monitor system? How can I fix it for 2? Your help is much appreciated.

2. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Where are the porst on the back of your computer, is one on the motherboard and another on a video card.... oe are both on the video card?

3. BetaMale

BetaMale Thread Starter

i'm not that computer literate to tell, alas. I suspect that one is a motherboard and the other the videocard since, at the rear of the computer, one is at the top and the other up in the middle. So they must be on different, no?

4. ViprXX

ViprXX

I don't think your pc can output both VGA and DVI signals at the same time if thats what your trying to do, Like one of your monitors connects via a VGA cable and the other connects via a DVI cable. if you want dual monitors I believe you need an adapter like one that connects to the pc's VGA port then splits into two VGA inputs to connect two vga monitors or an adapter that connects to the dvi port on the pc then splits into two dvi inputs to connect two dvi monitors.

5. BetaMale

BetaMale Thread Starter

thank you - i think you may be correct, and somehow it makes sense. the hunt for such an adapter begins. thanks again.

6. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

You cannot use an adapter. The reason you cannot use two monitors is that you can not use the motherboard and graphics cards outputs at the same time. You may have to buy a new graphics card with 2 outputs if your current one has none, otherwise you cannot use two seperate monitors at the same time.

If oyu can give me the model of you computer I can try and find you one. What connections do you have on the back of your computer? (A picture would be great) :)

7. ViprXX

ViprXX

you need an adapter like This and just plug it into your vga port.

8. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

BetaMale, do you want two screens with the same image, or independant so they can display different things such as one with interent and one with work or games or downloads etc...?

9. BetaMale

BetaMale Thread Starter

I'd like 2 independent screens so I have have multiple progs open. I have a Dell Inspiron (prob about 1.5 years old now). Connections are a VGA port and a DVI port - but as I say the DVI port is at the bottom and the VGA in the middle (ie about 15cm away!). ViprXX, your solution will only enable the same image to be displayed - is there a solution for independent images? Regards.

10. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

The only solution is to buy a new video card i'm afraid, but it will only cost you around $60 if oyu only intend to do work and not play games... Could you give me a more specific model number of the DEll :)

11. BetaMale

BetaMale Thread Starter

Aha, found it! Dell Inspiron: XPS/Dimension 200/5150C
    This is for work only.

12. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Ok now where would you like to buy on, otherwise i will use www.newegg.com an online computer parts store. :)

13. BetaMale

BetaMale Thread Starter

Goldfish - I'm based in the UK. can you recommend a make /model for the new video card. And I assume it has to have 2 VGA ports? I can then shop around here. Thanks, really appreciate your help here.

14. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Is this a newish computer and is it the XPS or the Dimension?

15. BetaMale

BetaMale Thread Starter

Dimension. bought on 19/02/06

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice