1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lyster, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lyster

lyster Thread Starter

How should two dissimilar monitors be hooked up to two dissimilar video cards from an overall performance point of view?

Here's my specific setup (but a referral to a general article on the subject would be fine too):

Monitor 1: 15" LCD Flat Panel

Monitor 2: 19" CRT

Video Card 1: GeForce 3 AGP with 64 MB DDR

Video Card 2: ATI Radeon PCI with 32 MB SDR

Motherboard supports designating which monitor is primary.

Currently I'm running the lesser performance video card 2 as "primary" both for boot purposes and for Windows XP (yes, that's my OS) purposes. That card 2 is presently hooked up to the 15" LCD flat panel display.

I've set it up in several different ways, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. It works any way it's set up (thank God). Just curious if there is a preferred way to do this and why.

2. brianF

brianF

My opinion, unless the lcd panel is a very fast one that can keep up with the card I would connect it to the ati card. If I am not mistaken the response time on lcd monitors isn't fast enough to keep up with the gforce 3 and would actually force it to slow down waiting for vsync.

The Gforce3 I would hook up to the crt for overall performance.

3. lyster

lyster Thread Starter

I guessed right on that one! Does it matter which card is "primary" or "secondary" (either in the BIOS or in Windows XP)?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice