1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mswedle, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mswedle

mswedle Thread Starter

I recently purchased a Nvidea geforce 6200 (manufactured by Asus) and was assured by Nvidea that it will support two monitors. I also bought two Dell 1707 FP monitors and connected one to the DVI port and one to the VGA port on the card. Things work well until I begin to use a microsoft office application and only if I am editing text; periodically while I am using the application, the monitor screen from the DVI will go black for several seconds. I can detect no pattern to this and can't get nvidea to give me any useful solution. Updated drivers aren't helping my cause and upgrading to 1.5 GB memory didn't help either. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to call it a lost cause and spring for a new card?

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Sounds like the monitor is losing sync. What resolution are you running them at?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried switching the monitor from the DVI to Analog connector?

If the card or monitor is faulty then it should be replaced under warranty.

4. mswedle

mswedle Thread Starter

I am running both monitors at 1280x1024 resolution and I have tried each monitor on each connector. There is no problem when there is only one monitor on the system, regardless of the connector used. I'm especially confused that it is microsoft office specifically that causes the problem, because i run a variety of games still using both monitors and have no problems.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Actually I am surprised you got that far as I have tried this on many cards and get nothing with both analog and dvi hookup even plugged in. I know that takes a special card to run 2 moniors.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Buying a new card to fix M$ Office doesn't sound right to me.
    Have you tried to reinstall Office ???

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, almost any of the newer cards with DVI and VGA will run two monitors. I've purchased $30 video cards that have dual monitor capability. I think it's somewhat difficult to buy a new video card that doesn't have that capability. :)

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. mswedle

mswedle Thread Starter

I've updated and reinstalled my microsoft office, but still getting problems. I am seeking help from nvidea, but my past experience suggests that I won't get anywhere with them, so if anyone has any other solutions... I'm about ready to try anything.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nvidia only made the GPU, the actual card is made by Asus and it is more their responsiblilty rather then Nvidia's.

11. mswedle

mswedle Thread Starter

Isn't it the GPU that would determine dual monitor compatibility?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In part, but the manufacturer has to implement the hardware to allow it to work.

What I was saying is that after Nvidia sells the GPU to Asus its up to Asus to provide end-user support. Asus also modifies the generic Nvidia driver to make sure it works the way its suppose to with the card and to add extra features.

Its quite possible that card is faulty.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice