1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor Query

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrdarq, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrdarq

mrdarq Thread Starter

hi all,

i am hoping to set up a dual monitor pc using the onboard video card and an older type PCI video card.

i am not sure what the onboard vid card is as it is not listed in the device manager (is there any way to check that?)

and the PCI card is a S3 trio 32/64

when i plug in the PCI card is seems to disable the onboard and there is only a listing for PCI in the display settings.

any idea's?

also i have tried using 2 PCI cards, both of them are the S3 make, but in device manager there is an alert in on the second card the states "device could not be started (code 10)"

any help would be great :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Truthfully, I'd just pick up a dual head video board, you'll be MUCH happier with the results. Also, many on-board video sections won't play well with a secondary card installed.

3. mrdarq

mrdarq Thread Starter

my instructions are to avoid buying a new video card if at all possible, so i will look at that as a last option.
    Plus this computer will be for data entry only, nothing really that extreme that would require a uniformed graphics.

what about having 2 PCI's of the same S3 make... any idea's on why the second one wont start?

thanks again,

4. GripS

GripS

5. DeLorean

DeLorean

Nothing you have now can be used together as like you stated already, the one will disable the other, in order to 'daisychain' cards you need specific cards built for that purpose, the only 3 types to have done that were early Voodoo cards and more recently ATI's Crossfire and Nvidia's SLI. Your best bet is to buy a dual output card; or just any card for that matter as most cards of the past few years have came with the VGA and DVI output and you can pickup a DVI to VGA adaptor for under a pound on ebay.

Just grab a cheapy budget card from anywhere so long as it has both slots then plug an adaptor into the DVI slot, I mention this as you're far likelier to find a cheap card on the likes of ebay that has "VGA, DVI" or "VGA, S-Video, DVI" etc than a cheap dual VGA card. Dual VGA cards are designed specifically for dual VGA and may be trickier to find for peanuts but most cards of the past few years have had all 3 outputs just for compatibility.

My card runs 2 monitors and a TV and I never even intended for that, and it was bought almost 18 months ago for 30 quid.

EDIT: After clicking the link in GripS post I see that the card there actually has the white DVI port with S-Video and VGA ports to either side of it, exactly as mine does.

6. AustinM

AustinM

Not sure why you can't, but I'm daisychaining 3 pci video cards (each with a DVI and a VGA output - 128mb Radeon), and the onboard video still works. I have 4 monitors connected.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice