1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor - resolution drop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paytontx12, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paytontx12

paytontx12 Thread Starter

I have recently set up a dual monitor system on my PC. Looks great and works fine most of the time. Sometimes, however, especially when my computer is working hard (i.e. when i can hear the CPU humming) or often when i access 'programs' on the Start Menu, the screen on my Primary Display goes black for a second or two, and when it returns the resolution has dropped a few notches. I keep both monitors on their highest possible resolution. The primary usually drops from 1680 x 1050 to 1440 x 900. I even purchased a new graphics card in order to set this system up.
    My secondary (smaller) monitor remains unchanged.

Does anyone know what could be causing this???

some specs:
    PC: Dell Dimension 1100 - DE051
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 - 2.8 GHz
    Primary: LG 22'' Flatron Wide (L226W)
    Secondary: Dell 17" ??
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice