1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor Setup Help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dsmith0283, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dsmith0283

dsmith0283 Thread Starter

I am using Windows 7...
    I have two monitors which mirror each-other currently but they are not independent of each-other.
    I am trying to get the mouse to move to the next screen when scrolling, currently moves on both.
    Also I would like to have a full screen up watching a movie for example while keeping my email in full view on the other screen.

I right clicked and selected "screen resolution" but that is when I get lost.

I also want to note I currently have an HDMI splitter, HDMI cable from my computer goes into splitter, with HDMI output 1 going to screen 1 and HDMI output 2 going to screen 2. Maybe the splitter is the wrong set-up for my needs?

I like the HDMI cables but I saw a video on youtube which says to connect the DVI from computer to monitor, then take VGA (blue cord) and connect from the main monitor to the secondary monitor but I tried doing that first before going the HDMI route and no luck. In fact, only time I got both screens to display is with the HDMI splitter.

Also...I tested the VGA and DVI on both monitors and got a picture when testing cable from computer to each monitor indepently, just can't get a connection frm monitor to monitor with the VGA cord, only get a display with HDMI splitter.

So...do I have the wrong cables, does a HDMI splitter not help get independent screens?
    Or...maybe I did the setup wrong in the screen resolution page from the picture below. I tried several methods from drop down including restarting computer but I wont go into those mistakes, be willing to hear your way to do it and if it doesn't work I'll let you know what happens.

Or worse, a hardware or software issue?

I'll be happy to answer any questions to help clear up any confusion.
    HELP!!
    Thank You

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      2.2 MB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

For multi-monitor setups....it's highly recommended that you connect the monitors directly to the PC itself....either to the mobo or to the GPU. Next I need to know what your system specs are and is this an OEM PC or a custom build?

In your post....you have conflicting statements...
    ...are you daisy chaining the monitors together? If so, that's a big no no!

Using HDMI cables is only needed if the monitors have speakers....otherwise you can use a DVI cable. The only difference between HDMI and DVI is that the HDMI cable carries the audio signal....both carry 720/1080 HD resolutions.

Here's a simple video on how/where a dual monitor is connected and setup....

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I run a dual monitor setup and always have used DVI cables and connected the monitors directly to my GPU (graphics card). Has never failed me.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm sure that the HDMI splitter is to get the same signals to two monitors. You need, as folks discussed above, to get two independent connections--maybe one DVI and the other HDMI.

Then press the p key while holding the <Windows logo> key. You'll then be able to select the main screen only, duplicate, extend (what you want), or second screen only.

6. dsmith0283

dsmith0283 Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, I got it figured out. I put the HDMI aside and started over with the VGA and DVI cords. So I just connected VGA and DVI into my computer, then ran VGA to monitor 1 and DVI to monitor 2.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice