1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stu673, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stu673

stu673 Thread Starter

Hi, I have just bought 2 new graphics cards in the hope that i'll be able to run some kind of dual monitor system.

In the AGP slot I have a 128MB GeForce4 MX 4000
    In the PCI slot I have a 64MB GeForce4 MX 4000

I have spent today trying to get it working... to no avail.

Every time I set one monitor as primary (or install it first), as soon as I apply changes to 'extend my desktop on to the secondary monitor' the screen just freezes and shuts down before having to restart windows from 'last known good configaration'

Another thing that is quite weird, when setting primary VGA device in the BIOS, it only gives the option of 'onboard VGA' or 'AGP VGA' nothing about the PCI device.

Yet if I only have the PCI card plugged in and take out the AGP card, the PCI card outputs as default monitor when the BIOS is set to boot from 'onboard VGA'!

*confused*

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Never tried it in WinXP but did in Win 98SE. THe PCI Graphics run as the primary monitor. If you are trying this in Win XP try designating the monitor connected to the PCI Video Card as primary monitor.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So you also have an onboard display adaptor?

Are you using the latest driver? http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93

Also, if possible you can return the two video cards and just get one that supports dual displays. Most NVidia FX and ATI Radeon cards can be purchased with two monitor outputs.

4. Cell

Cell

it seems like one card with dual display functionality would be more simple. i know at the store i shop at you can get a ati with dual display for around $100. not sure what kind of performance you are looking for though.

if you get it set up for xp though let me know because i am about to set one up in a week or two on my computer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice