1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitor Trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SneakyDevil, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SneakyDevil

SneakyDevil Thread Starter

Recently i tried setting up a secondary monitor under the setting of "Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor". Immediately my secondary screen showed that it was receiving input but the screen remained blank. The backlight turned on I am able to scroll my mouse over to the secondary screen(I cannot see my mouse on the secondary screen but it leaves my primary one and takes several seconds for me to scroll back implying it has moved on to the second screen). When i check the status of my screens in the display settings or my ATI Control Center it tells me that both screens (and adapters) are enabled and working properly.

This is definitely not a hardware problem because when i switch screens the same problem happens where my primary screen works but my secondary only glows and remains blank.

I am using Windows XP Professional SP2, with an ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 series graphics card. I have downloaded all the latest drivers from the ATI web site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

If you choose clone does it clone your desktop to the second monitor?

Is the refresh rate and resolution set to a setting compatible with both monitors?

Are these Identical monitors?

What happens if you switch monitor positions?

Double check at ATI that you do not need an additional download for "multiview" as you do with some Nvidia cards.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

using 2 cards or a dual card? if 2, are they the same?

the one monitor may have died.

fwiw:
    i use a dual card matrox g400.

4. SneakyDevil

If you choose clone does it clone your desktop to the second monitor?
    If i choose clone from the ATI Catalyst Control Center both screens refresh and then my primary screen comes back and once again my secondary screen is showing that it is getting a signal, but still remains blank.

Is the refresh rate and resolution set to a setting compatible with both monitors?
    Yes the refresh rate and resolution is set to a compatible setting with both monitors.

Are these Identical monitors?
    No, but they are both LCD screens.

What happens if you switch monitor positions?
    If i switch the monitor position my 2nd screen then shows what my primary screen used to display and my primary screen now becomes blank.

Double check at ATI that you do not need an additional download for "multiview" as you do with some Nvidia cards.
    I checked the website and couldnt find any specific downloads for multiview.

One other thing i noticed is that when i switched my screens i also tried setting my secondary screen as primary. Both screens refreshed and when i began opening things like display properties and my task manger they were opening up in the blank screen. When i went to restart my computer (the proper way using Start > Turn off computer) the box displaying "Turn off" "Restart" and "Stand-by" had opened in the blank screen. I was randomly clicking on blank screen until i eventually clicked turn off. So clearly my computer thinks it is running dual monitors it is just not displaying properly on my secondary screen.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

did you ever enable the 2nd screen after rt clicking on the desktop/settings?

6. SneakyDevil

Yes, i right click my desktop > properties > settings > Secondary screen properties > Adapter AND Monitor properties > Use this device (Enable).

One other thing i noticed is that when i read the ATI help guide on how to set up multi-monitors its information is innacurate. For example it tells me to go to Display > Settings tab > Advanced > Display tab but yet their is no display tab. Does this mean i have an outdated driver?

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i did it within xp, nothing from matrox and it sounds like the 2nd monitor isn't being seen.

do both show in device manager

2 cards or a dual head?

8. SneakyDevil

I only have one card, im no expert on this so all i can say is that the adapter is split into 2, one labels VGA1 and the other VGA2. I am pretty sure that my video card is capable of dual monitors because my ATI control center offers a guide on how to set it up. As i continue to try different things I am also beggening to think that my system is not recognizing the second screen.

In my Device Manager under display adapters i see:
    ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 series
    ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 series - Secondary

In my Device Manager under Monitors i see:
    Plug and Play Monitor
    Plug and Play Monitor

*Note* right now i have my secondary monitor plugged into VGA1. Before when i had my main monitor plugged into VGA1 i saw this in my Device Manager under Monitors
    ViewSonicVX922 Monitor
    Plug and PLay Monitor

So basically now that my view sonic is plugged into VGA2 it is not recognizing it like it does when plugged into VGA1. I do not know how i go about making my computer recognize screens from VGA2.

9. SneakyDevil

OKay Update here:

My secondary screen is now not totally blank. It is only showing a very dark image almost impossilbe to see. This is still not a hardware problem with the screen. When i swap the monitors same dark screen appears. It is also definitly now a brightness/contrast issue. Ive noticed that i only see this dark image when my resolution is 1280 X 1024 and 60hz refresh rate. any other settigns will not even show a dark picture, itll just look completely blank. Any idea on what is causing this?

10. brydo

brydo

I've had similar issues with two different ATI cards: a 9800XT and an X1950Pro card. Both cards appeared to have driver issues. I have two 23" wide-screen displays, each with a native 1920x1200 resolution.

The first time I had a problem was on the 9800XT where my second monitor was not receiving a signal. In that case, I was able to solve the issue in the Catalyst Control Center by checking the "Reduce DVI frequency on higher-resolution displays" checkbox under the Digital Panel Properties -> Attributes setting. Unable to run both monitors at full resolution, I upgraded to the X1950Pro.

Today on my X1950Pro, I have a problem where (after disabling the second monitor to get a game to run properly) re-enabling the second monitor caused the same issue you are having. The second monitor works up until I log into XP and the drivers start loading. After about 30 seconds, my background picture disappears on monitor #2 and only the mouse pointer is visible. Certain other bits of windows may appear (those which display video or the LCD Overdrive Calibration Preview in Catalyst), but for the most part, it's all black.

I see posts on various websites now and then of other ATI owners with similar woes. For this particular problem, I have no solution.

11. brydo

brydo

I just installed the Catalyst 7.8 suite over the v7.5 that was on my system. Either the new driver solved the issue or the installation overwrote whatever setting was prohibiting the use of my second monitor.

Now the question is: Is Command & Conquer 3 worth the risk of temporarily disabling the second monitor, or should I go do something productive with my time?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!