Dual Monitor

Liz2830

I need help with the set-up I'm trying to make for my remote work. I have a laptop conected to 1 screen with a display port cable and it works fine. I have a desktop computer with another monitor that I want to be able to connect to my laptop during working hours, I can connect that to the laptop with another display port cable, and my desktop is connected to the second monitor through a HDMI cable. What can I do to be able to switch between my desktop and laptop once I'm done working?. When the two cables are connected one to from the desktop to the second monitor and one from the laptop to the second monitor, the second monitor doesn't recognize either of the cables, if I disconnect the two cables and then reconnect one then the monitor is fine. Please help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210226154511.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13, CPU Count: 6
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 916 GB (759 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0T2HR0, ver A02, s/n 7MVDR33.CNPE10002H02QD.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n 7MVDR33
Antivirus: Spybot - Search and Destroy, Enabled and Updated

Couriant

James
If your monitor has the 2 inputs then you can simply tell the monitor to switch between the inputs (source)

Liz2830

When the two cables are connected the screen goes blank and said it doesn't recognize either of the cable, but then if I unplug them and I connect either one of the cable, then the monitor works fine.

Couriant

James
When the two cables are connected the screen goes blank and said it doesn't recognize either of the cable, but then if I unplug them and I connect either one of the cable, then the monitor works fine.
Hmm that is strange. What monitor do you have? Is it set to Auto Source?

Liz2830

Dell 38 Monitor Model: U3818DW
Dell Ultrasharp 34 Monitor: Model U3419W
The One that I'm having the issue with is the Dell 38. The 34 is the one connected to the laptop

Couriant

James
OK, that is strange. I have plenty of Dell monitors that allows me to switch between the inputs. To confirm, is the affected monitor set to auto detect source?

Liz2830

Yes, and also when the two cables are connected I have chosen each port to see if it recognized either one ind it doesn't recognize them

Couriant

James
What is the service tag of the monitor if it's a newer model? (in the last few years)

Worse case, you would need to get a KVM switch like this one if we can't get the monitor to work.

Couriant

James
I apologize I thought I had replied to this before my surgery.
The service tag is showing incorrect but I was able to get the user guide. You may need to configure the ports if you haven’t done so. Check page 30 for the instructions.

Edit: sorry that is for the 34. This manual is for the 38, but the settings are the same.

another link that may help. It’s not specifically for your model but should work the same.

https://medium.com/@ningzh/share-a-dell-u3417w-monitor-between-two-computers-6d589a1801d5

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts