1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual monitors, laptop, real confused

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blue Deuce, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blue Deuce

Blue Deuce Thread Starter

My laptop is a HP Pavilion ZD 7020 with a Nvidia Geforce FX Go 5600 video card. I bought a second monitor that I wish to use for my photo editing and just because these old eyes don't like squnting at the laptops screen.

All I have gotten to work so far is that the photo I use as my laptops desktop is on the new monitor but nothing else. I am able to drag icons over to it but when I click on them the window opens on the laptop. I thought I would be able to use the new monitor as a replacement for the laptops but was I mistaken ? I did update the Nvidia driver also.

Thanks.

Edit: If I boot it in safe mode the new monitor seems to mirror the laptops if that helps.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most laptops will allow the larger monitor to replace the laptop screen. I think you have it configured to extend the desktop, and the laptop display is obviously recognized as the primary display. Look in the display options for different configuration options.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Does your display screen look like attached ???

In my HP Laptop .. It is shown set to the Twin mode where monitor #2 is a twin to the Laptop display.

If [extend windows] to Monitor #2 is checked .. #2 will be in a Span mode running as a separate dual screen ... double wide

A reboot might be required for these settings to apply.

Which mode do you want ???

Attached Files:

4. Blue Deuce

Blue Deuce Thread Starter

Six hours later I think I finally have it working properly. Thanks for the help.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Only six hours? Must have been an easy one. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/526990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice