1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitors on PC and Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phoenyx, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phoenyx

Phoenyx Thread Starter

Tried searching for this and couldn't find anything that answered my question specifically.

Basically, I have a laptop with a busted LCD that I would like to KVM to my existing LCD monitor. Recently I have been thinking about going dual monitors on my PC. Will a KVM switch allow me to use the dual monitors on the laptop?

Also, if anybody could recommend a good quality/not too expensive KVM I would appreciate that as well.

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well the laptop would have to have dual monitor capability and I've never seen one with two ports either DVI or analog or a combination of the two. I've heard there are some add on adapters for this but that they were pretty flakey and offered real poor quality. There may be something new out there that actually works. Obviously when talking dual monitor with a laptop it's generally the laptop screen and one external monitor or projector.

EDIT: As to your question a KVM switch can have more than one monitor connection but it would reproduce the incoming signal exactly for both connected monitors, not really what you'd consider a dual monitor setup.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Yes … If you mean dual (secondary) for the desktop .. or KVM optional for the Laptop ...

The problem here is that most KVMs need to see the power input for the Mouse/Keyboard …
    In order to know that the Computer input is active before it’ll switch the Video.

The SIMPLE answer would be to use a Video switch instead of a KVM for your application.
    Maybe something like this >>>
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707101

If you want to use a KVM … You may have to fool the KVM by sending it the KM power from your main Desktop…
    So that the KVM thinks there are two computers connected (and turned on)
    You can use a USB <> PS2 Adapter to do this.

Using a KVM Switch will probably require some wiring like this &#8230;

Attached Files:

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Whoops .... Now that I look again ...
    You'll probably also need a second keyboard connected to the KVM ....
    in order to be able to switch the KVM inputs.

If your Laptop was another desktop with it's own Keyboard/Mouse ...
    you could wire it like I have my system wired ...

Attached Files:

5. junker39

junker39

I've got dual monitors on my desktop, one DVI, one analog. I use a KVM switch to run a laptop on the right hand analog screen. Works great. I even installed another KVM on the second input to allow another computer to use the right hand screen, mouse and keyboard as my main PC. One KVM uses the Control key and the other the Scroll Lock key.

6. cal222

cal222

Hi - posted this on it's own thread but maybe u guys here could help?

I purchased a new flatscreen monitor to add a second screen to my laptop for the occasions when I need two at home. It is installed as "extended desktop" and seems fine but apart from the Windows MCE screen logo it's blank.

When I open a program on the laptop it stays on the laptop screen - my question is:
    How do I tell the computer to open the programs on the monitor screen on the occasions I want that to happen, whilst still keeping them on the laptop desktop for the times i am out and about with only the laptop?

Idiot proof instructions would be much appreciated if anyone can help

Thanks,
    Cal

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

My Laptop is set up to run a projector ... As if it were my Laptop display and duplicates the Laptop display.

When you click on your second display .. make sure the desktop is NOT extended ..
    This will run the second monitor in a span (Second Screen) mode.

Right click on the monitor #1 and choose properties >> and the display tab.

Sorry ...
    I do NOT understand these settings ... They make NO sense to me ...
    I just poke around till I get the second monitor output to duplicate my Laptop screen.
    Hope this helps a little.

To get this Screen Shot .. (I do not have a projector at home) ...
    I used my KVM with another Keyboard n Mouse connected via the Laptop USB.
    This is required so that the KVM knows the Video input is active.

FWIW ... Here's a good deal on a KVM .. free shipping and half the price that Wal-Mart or BBuys charges.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107407&Tpk=gcs62

Attached Files:

8. cal222

cal222

Thanks for the suggestions guys - much appreciated! I think I may solve my problem (and more) with this software http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/ I have downloaded the 30day free trial and will see how it goes:D

Thanks again,
    Cal

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/607831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice