1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitors Quit Working!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lyster, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lyster

lyster Thread Starter

I have installed a NVidia GeForce 3 AGP card and an ATI Radeon PCI card. These are attached to a 19" CRT and a 15" LCD monitor (respectively). They initially worked fine with my new install of Windows XP Professional, and I was enjoying them. After installing a number of software titles, I rebooted and - the secondary (LCD) monitor was off. I checked the settings, and that monitor could not be made to load (although it was still recognized). I decided to uninstall the driver, hoping that a re-install would take care of it. After the uninstall, I had Windows seek new hardware. Windows XP recognized the hardware, tried to install it, but no luck. I decided to re-boot again, and this time when windows came up, the settings didn't even show another monitor attached.

I have one other problem that arose at that time (and which I resolved by having windows re-install itself) - the machine would "hang" after shutting down. Windows would seem to exit, the screen went blank, but the machine would not restart. In fact, even pushing the reset button did nothing - a power off reboot was necessary. I've since fixed that, as I said, by re-installing Windows. (The re-install didn't overwrite the other programs I had installed.)

Where should I begin to get my dual displays back? I have worked with the registry before, if that's what's needed.

2. lyster

lyster Thread Starter

I re-installed Windows - It's fixed (and XP didn't reset all my installed programs or registry either - what a relief).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice