1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual monitors - Selecting Primary/Secondary

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bxf, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bxf

bxf Thread Starter

I have a laptop that uses an on-board Intel graphics card that supports multiple monitors, and does everything I need - almost. In addition to the Win XP Home (Portuguese) that the laptop came with, I installed XP Pro (English), and updated to the latest drivers from Intel.

Now, when I boot Home, the external monitor is showing as Primary. When I boot Pro, it is the laptop display that is Primary. I am unable to alter this setup regardless of what settings I change (believe me, I've tried "all", including some registry changes). If I use the normal DISPLAY settings panel to select Extended Desktop and the OTHER monitor to be Primary, it either ignores the request or does something unpredictable, like switch to the other monitor, but not in extended mode.

My inability to change the described configurations on either system may be due to a bug or a restriction somewhere. But, even if I am not supposed to be able to make my external monitor Primary on my XP Pro system (which is my objective here), I would like to know what is causing the external to come up as Primary in my XP Home. Surely not the BIOS, as it is the same for both systems.

FWIW, I get the same symptoms regardless of which driver version I have installed on XP Pro, including the one that is used in the Home system and the latest available from Intel and the laptop manufacturer.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/258716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice