1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitors VGA & DVI + Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chrisstitcher, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chrisstitcher

Chrisstitcher Thread Starter

= headache.

Anyway I've got:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU @3.0GHz 1333 FSB
    MSI G31M-F Intel G31 chipset LGA 775 Motherboard
    4GB Ram DDR2/800 Corsair Memory
    Rosewell Stallion 500W Powersupply
    1 320GB 7200RPM HDD
    Windows Vista 32bit vers
    and Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT (xfx) Vid Card with DVI and VGA capabilities (latest drivers as of 3 March 09 installed)

My problem is.. Dual monitors arent working. I saw mentioned in another post that VGA / DVI may not work I've searched everywhere gotten with XFX about what to do and no luck. I've tried reformatting and no success.

When I right click the desktop -> Personalize -> Display settings -> try to set up 2nd monitor it will not work the 2nd monitor icon will revert to greyed out once you hit ok or apply. I'm stumped please help :)

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

What happens when you try to set up primary and secondary dual monitors in the Nvidia Control Panel?

3. wiley8425

wiley8425

Have you tried just setting up the VGA monitor first, then plugging in the DVI as a temporary second and then try switching them back again in control panel? (display priority)

4. Chrisstitcher

@ Fairnooks

Once I set up the 2nd monitor in Nvidia panel it will not grey out like the windows "personalize" would. However still nothing happens with the monitor. I've also tried to re-set up monitor 2 (vga) via vista's personalize option. Once the Nvidia thing has been done it will no longer grey out but will still not work.
    *edit* I can move the mouse to that screen (can move the mouse off the left side of main monitor) but its just not working still "no signal" error

5. Chrisstitcher

@ wiley If the VGA is plug'd in first then the DVI it wont recognize the DVI.

However, if you have only one plug'd in at boot then plug the other one in (either they both worked) before windows boots then they both will work. I'm about to reboot and see if it'll save the settings I'm betting not.

*edit* after reboot it seems to have worked either by random windows anomaly or setting up the VGA first who knows thanks for the help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/814945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice