1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dual monitors will not work!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NACHOCUPOFTEA, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NACHOCUPOFTEA

NACHOCUPOFTEA Thread Starter

I have a radeon 550 graphics card and runs fine with one monitor and just recently picked up a older dell monitor that i wanted to set up dual monitors. My first monitor is plugged into VGA to DVI-D port and when i try plugging in my second monitor into VGA-HDMI port both the monitors goes ballistic and i cant do anything on neither monitors (the screens starts flickering and it starts detecting the second monitor then it doesnt detect and it just repeats). I've tried switched the cables from monitors and it helped for a short period of time but then started acting up again. i also get a little notification that theres not enough power for one USB but that notification doesnt stay long.

Please help!!

2. NACHOCUPOFTEA

i also made sure all the cables were properly plugged in.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Assuming the HDMI port is on the Graphics card how are you connecting it to the Dell monitor ?

4. NACHOCUPOFTEA

i have a VGA cable connected to a VGA to HDMI port all plugged into my graphics card

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, what do you mean by 'VGA to HDMI' port ? A VGA to VGA cable and some sort of adapter ?

6. NACHOCUPOFTEA

yes thats what i meant. VGA TO VGA cable and adapter VGA to HDMI

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you have a link to the adapter you have ? Maybe at Amazon or Ebay ? Or a photo of it ?
    Or describe it please.

8. NACHOCUPOFTEA

so i bought the VGA to HDMI adapter at best buy but im unsure of the brand.
    BUT i had problems finding an adapter to the ports i had on my GPU because nobody in my area had an adapter with VGA to DVI-D or VGA to display port so i bought this on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Active-DVI-D...t=&hvlocphy=9011572&hvtargid=pla-565352007735

i originally had my first monitor plugged into VGA to VGA cables into an VGA to HDMI adapter so when i got my second monitor i had problems finding an adapters to match my other ports so i bought this ^^

When i plugged my dell monitor (my second monitor) into the VGA to DVI-D adapter the flickering started right away but when i switched the cables around making my first monitor run on the VGA to DVI-D adapter and my dell onto the VGA to HDMI adapter it would run smoothly for a little bit but then the flickering began after a short while and its consent.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, what does the VGA to HDMI adapter look like ? Is it similar to the DVI to VGA one ?

10. NACHOCUPOFTEA

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  11. NACHOCUPOFTEA

I just plugged a micro USB cable in along with it and im trying it out now. so far no issues

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That makes sense, the adapter needs the power from the micro Usb cable to function properly. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

13. NACHOCUPOFTEA

so far it has! Thanks so much for helping im marking this as solved! :)

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. (y)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice