1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual monitors with Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Minney, Aug 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Minney

Minney Thread Starter

I have installed an Appian plug and play dual monitor card. The system shows two monitors on the display in the control panel but the two monitors act as one. Has anyone installed dual monitors using Windows 2000? Is it okay to use a different software or does Windows 2000 have it's own software to handle dual monitors.

Can't get them to work independently.

2. DeltaBlaster

DeltaBlaster

3. Minney

Minney Thread Starter

Thank you for the great response. Looks like I should have all the information I need here.

4. Minney

Minney Thread Starter

After reading this article and talking with a technician, the technician tells me that dual monitors in Windows 2000 is just two monitors expanding one program.

In Windows 98, we are able to have two programs running at the same time.....one on each monitor.

Do you understand the dual monitor situation with Windows 2000? Is that correct that one can only expand one program across two monitors?

5. deuce868

deuce868

I currently run 2 monitors in win2k. First, if they are on 1 card you cannot set independent resolutions. Therefore it's best if you have 2 unlike monitors ( i have a 19 and a 17) to use 2 video cards. You actually tell win2k to extend my desktop onto the other monitor. This is done in the display setting box. When you do this, you should have 2 separate monitors. I have my start bar on the left side of my screen. It will run across the whole bottom if you have it horizontal there. Now, when I open an application I place it in either one monitor or the other. They drag between. Make sure that the display shows up properly in your display setting. There is a picture to tell it which one is where. This affects how things drag around between the monitors. If this picture isn't accurate just drag the misplaced monitor to it's proper place. Now when you maximize an application it should take up the monitor it is more in. I do this a lot in development work as I have code full screen in one window and preview in the other. All in all it's a great feature and have fun with it. I just can;t wait until I can get dual flat panels.

6. Minney

Minney Thread Starter

I have an Appian card which was purchased so I could run the dual monitors. Do I need two of these cards? Right now it is not even recognizing dual monitors. It did prior but would still just expand across the screen.

I have a 17" and a 15" monitor.

I need help fast or the technician is going to remove Win2K and reinstall the Win98 in order to get this to work.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. When I look under devices, there is only one card recognized and that is the appian. Is this my problem?

7. deuce868

deuce868

the problem you're going to run into is that win2k will make you have the same resolution on both monitors. To find the other monitor you have to turn it on. right-click on the desktop and go to properties. The select the settings tab at the end. There you should see two monitors pictured. There is a checkbox at the bottom that says - extend my desktop onto this monitor. When you check that you will get settings control for both monitors. Like I was saying though, if you set the resolution too high...and anything over 600x800 is probbly going to be too high for the 15" you will just get the same display in both monitors. The best way to go about this is to use 2 cards that each support one monitor. I have a gforce 2 card on my 19" and an old viper 330 on my 17". The appian card will work, but only is you set up the resolution low enough to make the 15" monitor happy. Hope this helps.

8. Minney

Minney Thread Starter

Hi:

Well....right now it doesn't even see two monitors. It use to. I don't think the right driver is installed. It isn't the driver I had the first time around.

I don't know a lot about cards, but the system must come with one and then we added another one. Not sure if they took out the original.

I will have to ask that.

Will have to do more checking here but no one is familiar with this here.

I have one processor with two cards...is that right?

9. deuce868

deuce868

ok...first see if the other card is still there. Look behind your computer and look at where you monitors plug into. 2 of these should be on 1 card if what you're saying is right. If there's another plug into that looks the same then the other card is still there. The other way to check is to go to the control panel under display devices and see if you have more than one card listed.

next: you can have up to 9 monitors on your machine...1 processor is fine. Don't worry about that.

next again: which driver are you talking about...there is one for the monitor and one for the video card. If you're talking about the one for the video card go look in the control panel at which card it is and download the driver from their web site.

finally: once you have the correct driver on the graphics card you should have two monitors detected when you right-click and go to properties. Once you get the second monitor back let me know and I can help you get it set up properly.

10. Minney

Minney Thread Starter

The two monitors are each plugged into a different spot...right next to one another.

When i look under SYSTEM and DEVICES, there are two drivers listed but one has a yellow mark with an ! in it. The technician said that was not the right driver either.

My understanding is the appian card makes it possible to have dual monitors.

11. deuce868

deuce868

what are the two card in your device manager?
    Which one is the one with the yellow ! on it?
    Have you downloaded the driver from the appian web site?
    Yes, the card will let you do this, I'm going to guarantee that you won't like the results because of the resolution problem I talked about earlier.

12. Minney

Minney Thread Starter

One is an appian NT4 Gemini something and the other is an
    S3 Inc Savage. I believe the technician let the system go out and find compatible drivers.

In the beginning I think she downloaded one from appian which was a win2k and this other one is an NT one.

On Win98 the resolution was okay. Not perfect...but at least I had two screens to work with.

Do i have the wrong set up here?

13. deuce868

deuce868

no, you don't have the wrong setup.
    in device manager remove the s3 savage card from the list. you will have to reboot. If it comes back after you restart then the card is still installed.

go to to appian.com
    select support - drivers/downloads
    once that page loads you have to use the drop down box to get to windows 2000 drivers and select Gemini.
    At that page it has installation instructions and the driver download. Have fun.

14. Minney

Minney Thread Starter

Hi:

I really appreciate all your help. I have contacted appian to see if i have the correct driver involved. The system does not recognize dual monitors.

Will keep you posted...<g>

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!