1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved dual monitors

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nichos, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Recently, for some reason, the two monitors reversed their "prime" status.

Where the LG one was primary for years now what ever I do or change in NVidia of Ctrl Panel the desktop appears in the Dell one.

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFi Intel,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600, EVGA GeForce 9800,
    W10 pro.

2. suj

suj

Hey nichos,

From what you said you seem to want to change the "main" display between the two monitors? To do this simply head down to the "Type Here to Search" bar. They type in 'rearrange multiple displays'. After a bit of browsing, you should find yourself on a screen with a graphic of numbered boxes, your displays. Is should be numbered 1 and 2. Now around that area, there should be a tab or area that says "make this my main display". I don't exactly know as I am not connected to my other displays on my current laptop. But, if you browse that area you should find the 'make this my main display'. That should make the Ctrl Panel appear on the display you choose.

Please let me know if you can't seem to grasp it.

Cheers, Sujat

3. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

I do all that through my graphics card & whichever screen I make primary the same thing happens, the desktop shows in the Dell one.

The only way to get it to show in the LG in front of me is to delete the Dell, i.e. single screen.

The attached shows the LG starred as primary but, shows no desktop.

It was alright for a few years until recently. I scanned the PC with two antivirus programs.

Attached Files:

4. suj

suj

Hey Nichos, I see whats wrong.

I believe I found the real solution, I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but I'm assuming that the taskbar is in the wrong display and so are the desktop icons.
    Right-click on an empty space on your taskbar, click taskbar settings, then scroll down to here:
    upload_2017-10-8_13-15-15.png

Then change it to make the main desktop taskbar appear on all or one of the displays. Just in case a taskbar is this:
    upload_2017-10-8_13-16-30.png

Then to move the icons just manual move them or see if these instructions froms the Windows Website work:

This issue might occur if the “Auto Arrange Icons” option has been checked.

Step 1: Let’s try to uncheck this option first and then arrange the icons by grid and check if the issue persists.

Follow this step to do the same.

1. Right click on an empty space on the Desktop-> Click on View.

2. Uncheck the option “Auto Arrange Icons”.

3. Check the option for “Align the icons to grid”.

Check if the issue persists now.

Please let me know if I read your question wrong or if it doesn't work,
    Cheers, Sujat

5. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Thanx,

I do all these in Nvidia ctrl panel but, you gave me food for thought to try them & the desktop moved to LG in front of me along with the Task bar, I am OK now.

Now that you cleared up all that, another small problem was bugging me, for a long time the vertical menu with search, setup etc. does not appear when I move the cursor to top right corner like it should.

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice