Dual Monitors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

s1lence

Ok - i've tried stuff but I can't get it to work.
1- LCD (MAG)
1- CRT monitor (IBM G54)
1 -Radeon 9800 Pro(def supports dual monitors)
I have the LCD connected to the radeon monitor socket, then the CRT connect to a Dvi -> Vga connector.
Pics:

Monitors -

And you have enabled the second monitor under Display in control panel, and ticked "extend my desktop"?

Thats assuming you are running Windows ...

s1lence

Yeah winXp, when i click extend desktop its lights up but doesn't show anything.

The LCD is DVI isn't it? Have you tried switching them around? Make the LCD DVI and the CRT VGA?

s1lence

The LCD is in the VGA slot, then the CRT is connected to the DVItoVGA transformer. I tried switchign them, same thing happens.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
About the same config I’m running, except the Dvi > Vga adapter is sourcing another LCD thru a KVM switch ... from a Radeon X700 pro.

Just a wild guess here ….
Your second monitor is in a span mode and you haven’t drug anything to it.

s1lence

If I switch the tow monitors 1 will work the other won't. The one with the DVI->VGA just lights up.
and NOYB Define SPAN mode :confused:

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
s1lence said:
If I switch the tow monitors 1 will work the other won't. The one with the DVI->VGA just lights up.
and NOYB Define SPAN mode :confused:
Span = Side by Side monitors ... as If you had a double wide monitor.
The stuff on your main monitor can be "drug" to the secondary monitor.

My second (right) monitor is after a 4 way KVM switch which hooks to my main Puter and two others... usually.

So - I can have dual ( double wide ) screens on my main puter if I really get playfull.

Attachments

s1lence

Oh well I def don't want that, I just want a 2nd desktop on my CRT to like browse/chat while I play a game on the other.

Triple6

Rob
So whatever is on the DVI connection does not work? If so then you should try another VGA-DVI connector, since thats easier then testing the video card.

You may want to try uninstalling the current ATI drivers and installing the latest Catalyst drivers just to make sure they aren't corrupt or some odd setting isn't causing the problem.

s1lence

Well I'll try a full uninstalling. The newest drivers come out the 21st and I have last months latest drivers. Hopefully I did screw up a setting :)

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
s1lence said:
Oh well I def don't want that, I just want a 2nd desktop on my CRT to like browse/chat while I play a game on the other.
That's what it does ... but you have to intentionally place something (a window or more) on the second monitor.

I just showed a window drug only half way to the second monitor.

Many times - I may watch TV, from my Media Center, on the right monitor while using the Left Monitor for other Puter chores.

Your problem - probably isn't this simple - but have you placed anything on the DVI monitor ???

s1lence

Hmm... ok from the first screw in.
I screwed the DVI->VGA in. Then I put the CRT cable on there. Turend on comp, went to display setings from desktop, turned 2nd monitor on. then went to the display settings again, clicked extend to desktop(just to experiment) then the CRT lit up, i thought woah. but on my lcd my mouse go waayyyy right of the screen but won't show up on the CRT. It only hmmm "contrast" lights up.

Thinking out loud -

2 sorts of DVI, there is DVI-D and DVI-I

One does not provide the analogue signals (D) , only digital , the other (I) provides both.

I wonder if this is the problem (the DVI-Analogue converter may only make the connections to the analogue from the DVI-D, but the card may not actually have the analogue pins present?

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online