1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by immoney, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. immoney

immoney Thread Starter

hey,

i'd appricate any help at all here because im really stuck,

basically i brought a new moniter today so i can run dual monitors but i can't seem to get it how i would want it,see i like to play online games but obviously i cannot do that while using other programmes... so i thought if i did dual monitors i could but so far all i've got out of it is 2 desktops one with out anthing on and the other with is normall i've dragged aa few programmes over and got the to run on my other monitor but im still having to problem of having to drag everything over each chat window etc and also when i run up a game on one monitor and then click a programme on the other moniter the game auto minimizes

now is there anyway to set up dual monitors to do 2 different things at once and have all windows task bar and icons on it etc or is there any way to disable auto minimize ?

thank you

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To have two task bars and more options you'll likely need more software then just the video drivers and Windows to handle it all. What video card do you have?

Once you drag Windows over to the second screen they should stay there from that point on.

Something like Ultramon will help a lot if you want advanced features and a separate task bar: http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

3. immoney

immoney Thread Starter

hey,

im using ultramon but im not getting what i need it still acts as one desktop i want like almost 2 sperate desktops the card i have is an agp ati radeon x1650 pro ice q (512mb edition)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you used the ATI Catalyst Control Center to configure the two monitors? How do you have them setup now? Cloned, Extended, etc? ATI also has HydraVision to improve mutliple monitor support: http://ati.amd.com/products/Hydravision/index.html If you use HydraVision then Ultramon should be closed or removed.

5. immoney

immoney Thread Starter

i have it exteneded but thats not the problem im having the problem is more to do with my game minimizing

lets say im playing counter strike source, on one monitor and i get a message on msn on the other monitor as soon as i move over to the other monitor and click msn my game on the first monitor will minimize because im using a different programme is there any way to disable the whole auto minimizing thing ???

6. stantley

stantley

If you can run the game as a window instead of full screen it should be OK. Not an ideal solution, but it should work.

7. immoney

immoney Thread Starter

yeah i guess so...

but i'd much ratehr disable this auto minimize is there no way at all ?

8. stantley

stantley

As Triple6 said you can probably set it up with Hydravision. I have it but haven't used it, but it looks like you can setup two virtual desktops with Multidesk.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may also want to switch the programs around so that you are gaming on the primary monitor and have any other applications open on the secondary monitor or vice versa. You also want to make sure that if a program has the option to always be on top that you disable it or it'll try to take focus, and that can affect things on a secondary monitor too.

10. immoney

immoney Thread Starter

im a bit confused abotu using hydravision because the virtual desktops over run each other so u can only run 1 virtual desktop at once on one screen from what i can see? how would i go by setting an application up to stay on top ?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It would be an option in each program, under Options or Properties depending on each program. In Windows Live! Messenger go to Tools and make sure Always on Top isn't checked.

If I remember correctly, when you install Hydravision it creates a new item next to the Minimize/Close buttons in the top right hand corner. If you right click on that it should give you some options. I'm not sure but I think if you right click on program icons there's also a new Hydravison item.

Hydravison guide: http://download.hightech.com.hk/manual/2k4Aug/Czech/HydraV32.pdf

12. immoney

immoney Thread Starter

even if i set my games to always on top it still minimizes is there anyway of disabling this minizing stuff from windows ?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well I've had that set up before and it never minimized for me so there's something an=bout the way you have it setup. Are you using the latest version of the ATI Catalyst Control Center and did you use it to to initially setup enable the second display? I think it might be a good idea to uninstall the all the ATI software, Hydravision, and Ultramon and start clean(without using Ultramon this time).

14. immoney

immoney Thread Starter

but its working fine apart from the minimizing ? is there at least a step to step u can type up for me

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not really, I don't use Windows XP anymore, nor do I have my second monitor hooked up.

I thought you said it also didn't remember Window's positions either?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice