1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timpdx, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timpdx

timpdx Thread Starter

Well, problem solved by NOT USING the Nvidia control panel, just the plane jane windows controls work fine, they see the seperate monitor as not capable as the NEC's resolution, allow me do dial it down to an appropriate rez and keep the NEC nice and sharp. Go figure, would have thought that the card's control panel software would be better than Windows, but no. Solved.

I just built a PC, which I have done before several times, including a PC back 5 years ago with dual monitors - in which I did not have the problem I am having now.

I have a good new Nvidia 256mb card with both DVI and standard outputs. I am trying to use my old 15" monitor with a nice professional NEC monitor (nice one on the DVI). The secondary monitor I want to be a place for pallets in photoshop or just to keep a web browser open. I.E. it doesn't have to be fancy, just functional. The problem, however is the the Nvidia control panel really reduces the resolution of my primary monitor significantly when I try to use the 2nd monitor. Both the aspect ratio and all-over resolution are "ruined" on the good NEC. I was told that this would not occur by the salesperson on this card, that it was capable of handling 2 high-res monitors. When mixing my good and the old monitor, however, it seems to be defaulting to the lower res monitor (even when I make the good NEC the primary screen).

I don't want to, but am I going to have to get another video card? Is there some other 3rd party software solution to this?

Card is EVGA GeForce 7600 GS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice