1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peter Komar, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peter Komar

Peter Komar Thread Starter

I have a Dell 4600 with onboard video which I disabled months ago to install a Nvidea stand alone video card. The system works great but now I would like to add another monitor for a dual setup. Can I enable the onboard video for one monitor and use the stand alone card for another monitor?
    Will this cause conflicts?

Thanks for your help.

2. Sponsor

3. stantley

stantley

No, it won't work. You can use either onboard video or the card but not both at the same time. Many video cards have dual output, if the one you have now only has a single output then you'll have to get a new one.

4. Peter Komar

Peter Komar Thread Starter

Thank you, Can I run two stand alone cards? I may be able to get my hands on one from an old comp.

5. Darth Revan

Darth Revan

actually if you know what you are doing you can have both the onboard and expansion card both enabled and streaming dual monitors. i am doing that right now.

6. stantley

stantley

That usually causes problems, too. It looks like you have an AGP slot, I would just get a decent AGP card with dual output.

7. stantley

stantley

Yes, it depends on the computer and the OP has a Dell 4600 which I'm pretty sure doesn't have that capability.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/618253