1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-Monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lllKinGllErtOlll, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lllKinGllErtOlll

lllKinGllErtOlll Thread Starter

I would like to add another monitor to my pc. I believe it would help with my online classes and other things. I have done my research online to figure out how to do this yet, some of these sites look outdated and overly complicated. Hopefully someone can help me with the simple purchases i need.

My specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 [email protected] 2.93GHz (Linnfield 45nm Architecture?)
    RAM: 8GB Eplida Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0X231R / Intel DMI Host Brigge Chipset
    Graphics: Dell ST2410(Analog) on 1792MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    HD:1000gb Samsung HD103uj ATA Device

Thanks for any help guys.
    Its late, Im bored, and I am tired of learning today lol.... so I think i want to know what to purchase and just go do it tonight lol.

2. lllKinGllErtOlll

I would like to note that I only have one monitor at the moment :) Cant wait to buy my other one!

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

This is one of the things that just seemed to work well for me from the first time I did it in Windows 98 when I set up four monitors on a single system. The guy was a day-trader. I'm currently running two monitors now, both flat-panel 19-in.

The only thing I would suggest is that you use monitors of the same size, although not required.

Be sure your video outputs match the available input on the monitor. There are cards that have two analog, cards with one analog and one digital and cards that have two digital outputs. You can do it with a single card that has dual outputs or you can use two cards.

Some main boards with on-board video will detect an add-in card and automatically disable the on-board video controller and there is no way to re-enable the on-board without removing the add-in card. On those, you simply cannot use the on-board video with an add-in card present in the system. Then there are some main boards that allow the use of the on-board and the add-in simultaneously.

I just happen to have had the lucky circumstance of a system falling into my lap a few months back with one on-board analog and one on-board digital.

4. lllKinGllErtOlll

So basically if i already have two video outputs on the pc, all i would need is a new monitor as well as the cable to connect it? I was thinking of using the hdmi to dvi on both.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice