1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Network Cards causing connection issues...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by guysml, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guysml

guysml Thread Starter

I recently added a second network card to my PC to share files with one of my other computers. The network card being used for sharing between the two computers is connected directly to the other computer with a cross-wired cable and the share works fine.

The problem I have now is when playing online games I sometimes lose my connection now. By using netstat I can see the problem is that the game will sometimes try to connect to the internet over the new network card, that connects to my other computer, and not the internet.

I tried opening Network Connections and going to Advanced>Advanced Settings and changing the order of the connections in the list. It says "Connections are listed in the order in which they are accessed by network services", however this does not always seem to be the case with online games ect.

Could the IP addresses used and/or the subnetmask or DNS info cause one adapter to be used instead of another? Is there any way to direct specific programs to use specific network interfaces, or does the OS always select which adapter to use for the program in question?

Any help would be really appreciated, this problem is driving me nuts!

Thanks to all who can contribute!

Guy

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You shouldn't have a Gateway or DNS server specified on the second NIC. That way Windows will be forced to use the first NIC for any IP address not specifically on your second network.

3. guysml

guysml Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I did not have a dns server on that connection, but I did have a default gateway set. I thought I needed that for the file sharing, but I will remove it and try to see if it works without any default gateway specified.

Anyway thanks for the help again, I really appreciate it. I have been looking for an answer to this for a while, but people just kept telling me to mess with the provider order which didnt really work for me.

Guy.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let's say, for example, that your Internet connection on NIC1 is thru a router and has IP address 192.168.1.2 and mask 255.255.255.0; NIC2 is connected to the other computer and has IP 10.0.0.1 and the other computer is 10.0.0.5 and both have mask 255.255.255.0.

Windows then knows to send any message to 192.168.1.x over NIC1 and any message to 10.0.0.x to NIC2. Windows does not know what to do with any address not in either subnet. So it sends it to the default Gateway (the Gateway is supposed to know what to do with all the messages it gets). If you have multiple Gateways specified, Windows XP seems to choose the (nominally) fastest one. If the Gateway NICs are the same speed, I suppose the selection is somewhat random.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!