1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual O/S Setup

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Szymek, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Szymek

Szymek Thread Starter

I hope I've posted this in the right place, but it is to do with setting up Linux so I should think it is right.

I've decided to give Fedora a try and here is my situation: I have two drives: C is the default and D: is a recovery partition that has all the files there for me to do recovery without needing disks. I can also create a set of disks from there which I'm going to do just in case. Now there's about 5gb of room on the d drive, and even more on the c drive.

From what I've read about doing dual O/S systems I should install Linux on the drive that doesn't have windows installed, in this case, the d drive. I assume about 5gb would be sufficient space? Ideally I'd like to install it on the c drive as that has most space but from my understanding it might overwrite the existing OS (XP) or something.

Anyway, any help and guidance on this is appreciated. I don't have any XP discs (aside from perhaps the recovery ones) in case something goes wrong so I wanted to get some feedback from some knowledgeable people before I went through with this.

Thanks.

2. saikee

saikee

As I don't know if your drives are just partitions in the same hard disk or two physical separate disk I outline the key steps to install FC6 with XP already residing.

(1) Download Parted Magic 1.5 Live CD and burn it into a bootable CD. Get FC6 installation CDs ready too.

(2) Boot up the Parted Magic and use its GUI gparted program to "resize" the XP partition to get between 6 to 11Gb empty space out. When done reboot to check XP intact first before prceeding to step (3). Use 5Gb if your are tight and 10Gb is there is plenty space. Installed FC6 should be about 4Gb.

(3) Boot up Parted Magic and use it to create two partitions; one between 5 to 10Gb formatted in Ext3 and another 1 Gb partition as a swap partition.

(4) Now boot up FC6 installation CD and make sure Fedora is installed in the new larger partition just created. I think you need in the Fedora installer Anaconda highlight the new bigger partition, edit it as the mounting point for the root which is known as "/" in Linux. Anaconda will know what to do with the swap. Thereafter everything will follow automatically. In Fedora Linux you will need to specify a default user name, its password and also the pasword for the root user (which is the equivalent of Administrator in XP).

(5) Select the boot loader, which is Grub, to go to the MBR. In a normal installation Linux installer will dual boot XP automatically. If it doesn't xp will still be safe and we could give advice how to boot it up.

On a reboot FC6 should be working and let us know what happen to XP.

Grub will take over XP's MBR for booting both systems. The XP's MBR is always restorable by the "fixmbr" command after booting to the XP installation CD so no need to worry if XP doesn't boot temporarily or things doesn't work out in Fedora.

Good luck

3. Szymek

Szymek Thread Starter

A bit of a late reply, but I wanted to wait on this until I knew if I ran into a problem it would be at a time when I wouldn't worry about it interfering with anything important.

I must say, following your instructions everything went flawlessly. On the way I figured out how to set it up so that XP is the default boot up. Thanks a lot for your help, you were an absolute great help!!

I do have a question though, as I'm still learning how to use this. Is there a way I can access files on the other drives? I see it shows my other drives but it will not let me access them. Also, how do I use the swap drive?

Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

4. saikee

saikee

It is every Linux user's God-given right to access XP partitions to play MP3, view pictures, edit Doc or Excel files etc. Since XP is a protected system you need to be in root to access them (as admin. in XP's term). If you log in as root, permitted in Fedora, you can access every file in a NTFS partition. If the partition isn't in the desktop then it has not been mounted. You can mount it in root console manually by commands, say it is hda1
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/hda1
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    ls /mnt/hda1
    Thereafter you will see it in the /mnt/hda1 folder in the desktop. To mount it automatically at a boot up you edit /ect/fstab to include it as an additional entry.

Fedora will allow you to read all of them but to write on a NTFS partition you need to install a special program called ntfs-3g which is supported by Fedora starting from FC4 I believe.

5. Szymek

Szymek Thread Starter

I'm not sure how I figure out whether I want to use hda1 or something else. When I do all those commands I get a message saying :

mount: special device /dev/hda1 does not exist

When I try a different one it gives me this message:

mount: No medium found

6. saikee

saikee

I used hda1 as an example. If you use a Sata hard disk the first partition of the first boot disk is sda1.

Post here the output of
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    to show all the partitions of every disk in your PC. The command should be issued in a root console. If you see nothing then you are not in root.

7. Szymek

Szymek Thread Starter

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 993 7975768+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2 * 2347 24321 176514187+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 1128 2346 9791617+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 994 1127 1076355 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Earlier I tried sda2 but got the following message:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'

edit: Alright, I have mounted it and now I can access the files. But I'm trying to set it up to have read/write access, I end up with this error:

fusermount: mount failed: Device or resource busy
    FUSE mount point creation failed

8. saikee

saikee

I did say you need ntfs-3g before you can write a nfts partition.

To install it
    Code:
    yum -y install ntfs-3g
    after it has been installed to mount is by command
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/sda2
    ntfs-3g /dev/sda2  /mnt/sda2

9. Szymek

Szymek Thread Starter

Yea I did that before. It give me that error but it looks like it worked, even on reboot. Thanks :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!