1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual O.S. stuff... (ME/XP)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yomaddog, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yomaddog

yomaddog Thread Starter

Long time no ask guys !!!

Well, installed a new hard drive on my "ME" system & threw "XP/NTFS" at it...(bless dual-O.S. !!!) I knew I couldn't get at "XP" from "ME", but want to play with "XP/NTFS" and grow into it as "XP" evolves...one day I'll be all "XP/NTSF"...

Any way, this new toy has brang up 2 questions so far:

Presently, I have "ME" on master. To get "XP" fired, I get into boot's setup screen (F1) , & arrange my boot up seqence to fire slave first... what do I do to get that "Choose O.S." screen instead of going through all of this ???

Second, everything seems to work in "XP" except Lucent V90 Modem, & the number pad off to the right-side on my HP-Multmedia Keyboard... tried updating drivers, know a site for some??? (pretty confident with configurations) Wish I could get "XP" to "Windows-Update" for a scan...

thanks for any input, everyone, MADDOG

2. brianF

brianF

hmmm winxp should have picked up your other operating system automatically when you installed. See this article about checking your boot.ini file and the other about how to set up the boot menu for defualt os. It may be it's just disabled, look for options of showing boot menu on start up.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q289022

3. brianF

brianF

also this article on running the recovery console and using the fixboot command to create the bootloader files if they don't exist.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307654
    All bootloader files are placed on the C drive no matter where xp is installed. Be carefully in the future to not overwrite them once you get them running.

4. yomaddog

yomaddog Thread Starter

Hey, thanks Brian-
    I'll check all that out...

By the way, I was a little timid about trying all of this out,
    so I unplugged "ME-master" and temporarily made "XP-drive"
    the master when installing "XP", then arranged the drives in and booted up....maybe that has something to do with the file you are talking about ?

5. brianF

brianF

You will have to do the second option of running the recovery console and fixboot command to install the bootloader.
    If not you could get a third party bootmanager, gonna cost though, no freeware ones I know of.

People say this one rocks.

http://www.acronis.com/

6. PStir

PStir

Just to pipe in about Your XP install... I believe that certain Hardware may have inherent problems with XP. Just not compatible. I suggest checking out the M$ Hardware Compatibility List, at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/search.mspx

7. PStir

PStir

:D I hope that helps!

8. PapaPoopa

PapaPoopa

9. yomaddog

yomaddog Thread Starter

...this post is now almost 2-years old.

Have had the dual o.s. up & running fine for a long time now...

But thanks for the suggestions!!

"the fixes were:"

Decided to use second drive for backup only.
    Partitioned original drive into 2 equal halves.
    Installed "ME" on first partition.
    Booted "ME", & from "ME",...
    installed "XP" on second partition.
    (you can pick where to install by choosing advanced-
    during installation, & also choose NTSF or FAT32)
    Following this installation, you are then able to choose...
    which operating system to load during bootup.

As for the keyboard driver:
    the numeric-pad would not work because num-lock defaulted to off!!! XP grabbed
    a standard driver that works fine, but I had not noticed that the num-lock was off!!! It is fine now.

As for the modem driver:
    I booted ME up, & looked at what driver was used.
    Then, booted XP & copied the driver over to the corresponding folder for XP, & told it to use it.
    (had to tell warning messege to go away)
    Works just fine.

Very strange to have heard from this old post today,
    for I had just repartitioned back to one part, got rid of ME, & went full XP 3-days ago!!!!!
    --------spoooooky----------- (ME ghost???) :eek:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice