1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Operating System Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Buckeyejeff, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buckeyejeff

Buckeyejeff Thread Starter

I own both Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional. I had some issues in the past with memory and in troubleshooting sed problem I erased my Professional Edition in place of my Home Edition. Basically the games I was playing had worked in the past on the Home Edition so I thought I had operating system problems. Anyhow, I fixed the memory problem and all games ran fine again. Wanting the newer Professional Edition back on the computer instead of the older Home Edition I decided to do a clean install with my Pro Ed. However, when I loaded up the Pro Ed, I must have skipped a major step and now have both operating systems on the computer. My question is, is there a way to erase the original home operating system and keep the new Pro Ed operating system without doing a compete clean install?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are they on separate partitions or the same? How are your drives and partitions configured?

Are you sure that you really have both, or is it just the boot menu that is a problem?

3. Buckeyejeff

Not sure I know how to respond. What I do know is that when I boot up the computer I automatically taken to a screen which asks me to choose my operating system. Both systems are available. I want to erase the original version and keep my new one. I would assume that means their on seperate partions. Your thoughts?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The easy way is to boot up, try one, then boot up and choose the other. If they are exactly the same, then you have only one installation.

But, to save some time, we could look at the boot.ini file.

Right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup button, Edit button. Copy the contents of that window and paste it here.

5. Buckeyejeff

I looked it up and the Home is on the C drive and the Pro is on the
    D drive, not identical.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. You will see a graphic of your drives. Either post a snapshot here or describe the partitions and labels.

7. Buckeyejeff

O.K. I got to the screen but I'm embarassed to say this but you'll have to tell me how to take a snapshot of it.

8. Buckeyejeff

Anyone else out there who can help?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!