dual OS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wearyourscar

Is there is possible to set up my desktop so it can boot Win 2000 and Redhat 9? I want to install Redhat on its own drive and be able to select which OS I want to use during start up. I would assume that this is possible, but I am new to Linux. Will the drive have to be a different format other than NTFS? Will I be able to play Windows media files and Windows games on Linux?

Originally posted by wearyourscar:
Is there is possible to set up my desktop so it can boot Win 2000 and Redhat 9?

Yes,it's a common thing to dual-boot now days.

I want to install Redhat on its own drive and be able to select which OS I want to use during start up. I would assume that this is possible, but I am new to Linux.

Most Linux distributions come with 2 bootloaders:Grub and Lilo.

Will the drive have to be a different format other than NTFS?

Linux has it's own filesystems that work very well so there's no good reason to install Linux on NTFS though, you could install them on NTFS if you wanted to. Most Linux distributions do support reading NTFS but not writing to NTFS,unfortunately, the one you've chosen(Redhat) does not support NTFS at all.

Will I be able to play Windows media files and Windows games on Linux?

Yes it's possible to play windows media files with the right codecs and you can play some windows games using emulators and virtual machines etc,but then it defeats the point of a dual-boot system.
HTH
lynch

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online