1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual OS's... Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by matyd, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matyd

matyd Thread Starter

Is this possible? I recently tried to install Linux, maybe it was FreeBSD, not sure i'd have to go home to look but i'm at work.... Anyways I tried to install the second OS on my ext. HD but, you guessed it... PC wouldn't boot to the ext. HD. I want to do the so i can learn and expand my knowledge etc. but it isn't looking very do-able :eek:
    I don't think that there is a place in my PC tower to insert the hard drive into.. ie 2 hard drives. Well, thank you for your time..
    Matt

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Back all of your information from the internal onto the external, the re-partition you boot drive with two partitions, one for each OS.

Install (XP I'm guesiing) on one partition, and Linux on the other.

I recommend installing XP first so that you can use the GRUB boot loader to select OSs when you boot.

I have always had better luck with GRUB then with Windows Multi Boot.

3. Scorpion

Scorpion

Yup, very doable, and a lot of ppl do it too. You need something like Grub Boot Loader to handle the booting aspect of it, so that on boot you will get a screen asking yo which OS you want to boot to. You may also need to format that part of the drive differently from windows format (almost certainly for Linux os's).

MAKE sure you have a way of repairing it if something goes wrong (never has for me, but still...), like your operating system disk for windows, That way, if there is a failure, you can aways do a FIXMBR (fix Master Boot Record) for windows.

Scorp.

4. matyd

matyd Thread Starter

Okay, so i need to download GRUB and how do i re partition the boot drive? can't that screw something up??? Also how will i get Linux on my pc? I am currently running XP SP2... Is there an app in windows to partition?

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I run multiple OS's. In the same box. At the same time. Right now I have both Linux and Windows 2000 running in this one computer. At the same time.:)

6. matyd

matyd Thread Starter

So what is the process of installing Linux? I mean... boot partition etc. I know that Linux can't read NTFS partitions.... so how do i change my boot partition?

7. matyd

matyd Thread Starter

Better yet, is there any documentation on doing this? I've searched and i haven't quite found what i'm looking for....

8. Scorpion

Scorpion

Click HERE, read, reead, read...then if ya have questions, come back and ask, and I for one will be glad to try and help you. All the info you need is freely available.

I recently installed UBUNTU as a second OS, and it was painless.

Scorp.

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

10. matyd

matyd Thread Starter

Okay, I do have a question..... Reading the FreeBSD's installation guide (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html) (Section 2-2)....
    This section touches on partitioning but it doesn't go into a lot of detail.... I have a HD of 80GB and Windows is installed on it.... I'm guessing it's an NTFS partition... Can i use any other program other than partition magic? Also, how would i half the partition without loosing data? Clearly I'm not even using nearly 40GB of the HD but i wanted to cut it in half... 40GB for XP and 40GB for BSD... Thank you for the advice you have given me so far!

11. Bman

Bman

Magician,

There are several other partitioning tools you can use, I use Acronis' DiskDirector. Most partitioning tools can take 'free space' from an existing partition and create a new one. This is normally a non-destructive action (your data is safe), but backing up important 'stuff' is a good idea. HTH

12. matyd

matyd Thread Starter

Another question... what os do you think would be a littler better for a home pc? FreeBSD 5.4 or 6.0?

13. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

That question might be better asked at the Linux Forum, although an answer may come along here. I have no experience from which to answer it.. I have not as yet experimented with Linux OSes. {redoak}

14. matyd

matyd Thread Starter

Just wondering.... how do I install the Grub Loader??? Do i need to install it while running windows? or after the installation of freebsd?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!