1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Processor Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Unbled, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Unbled

Unbled Thread Starter

I am considering building a new gaming computer. I have heard about dual processor technology recently. I looked on sites like newegg.com but being as how I don't know much about dual processors I didn't know what to look for. So my question is, are there any dual-processor mobo's available that work with Intel, if any processor will work with that, and if it requires special software or if the program has to be compatible with dual processor. Thanks! :D

2. Unbled

Unbled Thread Starter

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, do you mean a dual core cpu or do you mean an actual dual cpu type system?

I think what you are referring to is a dual core cpu. Dual cores are really mainstream now; just check the specs of the board you are going to buy. If you go with an intel cpu [amd makes dual core cpus also] then I would really go with a board using an intel chipset.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A good idea is to post a budget as to what you can spend AND what you intend to do with the system.

5. Unbled

Unbled Thread Starter

No, I do mean a dual processor setup. I'm currently running dual core. I'm going to use this system for high end gaming and money isn't an object.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To answer your question, yes there are dual intel cpu boards however they are NOT made for gaming. They are made for servers. Here is an example of a dual intel board.
    Tyan board

7. burnthepc

burnthepc

I think there is a new mobo coming out that does this.
    Check http://www.gizmonews.com/?p=3662

It's called the Skultrail - rubbish name - it can take 2 cpus and 4 PCI-E cards

8. the_man550

the_man550

But still an ordinary EVGA 780i with one single cpu owns it in almost every game. (according to reviewers)

Currently only ATI support quad cards.

Nvidia is on the way though.

9. Unbled

Unbled Thread Starter

Really cool. So is the skultrail out yet? If it is, where can I get it?

10. the_man550

the_man550

You can't get it, it's not out yet.

You should think over this, currently there are no games that supports even 4 cores, leave 8 alone!

I saw some test with this MoBo, they got lower scores with the skultrail (with 2 cpus, 3gpus) then they got with a EVGA 780i (1 cpu, 2gpus), the first 2 cores did "something" the third was at 20% or something, the next 7 cores were at 0%, and that's not good.

Or, to be honest, they got almost the same scores (a little higher with the EVGA) but the skultrail was at least 2 times more expensive.

It only supports the newest CPU's, the X9850 or whatever their name is, and one of those are alone at least 1000$!

11. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

12. Compiler

Compiler

It'll be another 2 years before games actually make use of 8core or more CPUs. Even a few games are actually making use of dual or quad core setups as of today.

Skultrail is expensive. $1000 per CPU, $400~500 for the motherboard, $250 per video card... you'd need at least a 1200watt PSU to power it up ($350) = $4000~5000 (once you add everything else).

Then some guy with a $1200~1500 PC can still have a faster gaming system.

13. Unbled

Unbled Thread Starter

I guess I'll be waiting then. I was going to wait anyway for the nVidia 9000 Series before I built it anyway. So yea waiting seems like the best option. Thanks for all the help and info, guys!

14. Compiler

Compiler

Youre going to wait a few years? In 2-3 years, 8-core CPUs should be about $600 or so and software can actually make use of it... the Windows7 OS... perhaps that OS won't be the super-mess cluster-bomb that vista is.

For gaming, a top end Video card with a high speed dual or quad core CPU ($260~400) is do fine.

15. the_man550

the_man550

In 2-3 years intel will release a CPU with 80 cores @ 5.7Ghz/core, so I don't think 8 cores will be that expensive :rolleyes:

It's already a working prototype.

http://www.news.com/Intel-shows-off-80-core-processor/2100-1006_3-6158181.html

If you scroll down a bit you see that they show a CPU with 96 cores that already works and is used.

BTW: I found the news on intel.com a while ago, can't find it anymore, but they said it was going to be the same size as a thumb nail.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/692689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice