1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual processor motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skimac82, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skimac82

skimac82 Thread Starter

I just bought a dual processor mother board but when i went to plug the power in to it both power plugs into the motherboard from the power supply are 4 prongs short. Is there an adapter for this or what should I do?

2. Rockn

Rockn

What have you upgraded to CPU and motherboard wise?? You should get at least a 500W PSU for a dualie.

3. hammerbill

hammerbill

Your post is hard to answer due to lack of details. Is this a new motherboard hosting a newer, say 1 gig or above chip, or is it an older Pentium? I remember the old pentium HX chipset could support dual processors and some boards with that chipset actually still used AT power supplies with duals. Which leads me to wonder if you are trying to use an ATX power supply on an AT board.
    If the prongs actually do fit the board, there is probably nothing critically wrong with using that power supply. You may be missing some advanced power management feature, but it is unlikely that any shorting or bad polarization will occur. Some power supplies, like those recommended for the Pentium 4 processor, have extra things you may not need for another processor too.
    Be careful making a dual processor system. The first thing to know is that typical windows will not gain any benefit from the extra processor! You need windows NT, 2000 or XP (pro version only). The other versions will only recognize and use one cpu.
    Another error that is commonly made: According to the specification of Intel processor, not every CPU is allowed to support dual processors. For example, according to intel, the L2 cache of Pentium III Tualatin CPU has to be 512KB in order to support dual processors. You need to check the specifics of your intended processors, hopefully-before-you buy them.

4. pronute

pronute

You need this eATX PSU

Or this converter However I recommend the eATX PSU that are specifically made for Dual processors plus you'll need a OS that can take advantage of the dual processors such as NT4, W2K, or Windows XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/208842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice