1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Processor question?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lostboyz, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lostboyz

lostboyz Thread Starter

How will i know that my windows 2000 server have installed the right driver for my dual processor server?

If ever how can i install the driver to support my dual processor box.

thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Windows 2000 supports dual processors - if you installed it on the computer then it should be using the Dual-CPU setup, just make sure both CPU's are setup in the BIOS and working correctly.

3. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..i'm not to sure about W2K server edition,
    ..but with W2K pro, in device manager, you should see a listing for "Computer". Expand that, and underneath you should see a listing for APM or ACPI Multiprocessor computer. If that's there, then your system is using both processors (even though Windows 2000 never shows the second processor in System Properties). If you see APM or ACPI Uniprocessor PC, your installation is only using one processor, and you'll have to manually install the multiprocessor HAL (you'll have to visit Microsoft's site for info on this, I've never had to do it).
    Check your Task Manager. It should have two CPU graphs under the Performance tab. Under Device Manager you should also see two instances of the CPU driver under Processors.
    Did you install Windows 2000 on the computer while both processors were there? Was this an upgrade from a Windows 9x OS? Windows uses a seperate kernel/HAL for multiple CPU systems. Typically the number of CPUs is detected during install and the correct kernel/HAL are chosen. My computer has two CPUs and this has functioned correctly.
    Here is an article that explains how you can upgrade your HAL to support multiple CPUs:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q234558

w/enlight en-8902 w/[email protected] w/[email protected] w/[email protected] w/[email protected],
    epox D3VA w/[email protected] w/2.0GB kingston SDRAM,
    w/trios w/98SE-Lite & 98SE-Gold & W2K-Pro triple/single-booting,
    R.A.I.D. 0+1 w/[email protected]@7200,
    ati 4xAGP rage fury pro vi-vo w/dual sony E500,
    sb live! x-gamer w/klipsch pro-media 5.1,
    netgear RT314 w/3com 8portTPO,
    dual V.92/V.44 external,
    3com 3c905c 10/100,
    acer 50x cd-rom,
    acer cd-rw.................(means more, just tired of typing)
    (yeah, i'm BRAGGIN'!!!!!!!)

hope this helped,
    have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

4. wedor

wedor

Very similar if not identical in server daniel.

5. wedor

wedor

So what are you using to control the 12 Maxtors?

6. lostboyz

lostboyz Thread Starter

it's already setup in bios, and i see only ACPI Multiprocessor in device manager computer. my windows is a fresh installation no upgdrade, i'll the links you post daniel_b2380.

THANKS a LOT GUYS!

7. lostboyz

lostboyz Thread Starter

"Check your Task Manager. It should have two CPU graphs under the Performance tab. Under Device Manager you should also see two instances of the CPU driver under Processors."

I see only one CPU Usage Graphs and one MEM Usage.

8. lostboyz

lostboyz Thread Starter

by the way i'm using a Compaq ProliantML350 for the server with 3 Ultra3 SCSI Harddisk.

9. lostboyz

lostboyz Thread Starter

Sorry for my stupidity!
    I see TWO CPU Graphs with One memory usage.
    I think the two processor is installed properly and the driver is also ok. my big problem is, during processing my server slows down. do i need to install new RAM?

THANKS A LOT GUYZ FOR ALL THE REPLYS!!!!

10. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

wedor,
    ..actually, there's 36 total, 12 on each boot, using the trios switches to switch onboard r.a.i.d. and my own jack-legged scsi setup,
    lostboyz,
    ..and yes, if you have motherboard drivers, they should be installed, [they're usually for busses, bridges, and such], [i'm talking separate drivers specifically for your board IF you have to use any],
    ..you didn't say how much ram you had, [???], but, NEW ram, no, just add to what you have, up to whatever the maximum your board will support,
    ..unless you're out of slots and you still want more, then you'll have to get larger size sticks, [128 to 256, 256 to 512, etc.],
    ..i'm running 2.0 gig ACTUAL, the virtual number is about incomprehensible, [something in the 12 gig range by the time the vm gets through it's vm'ing itself]:eek: , [almost the size as my hard drives show up as], :D :D ,
    ..what can i say?, got the 'tim allen syndrome' BAD!!!

have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!