1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual processors question....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by McTimson, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. McTimson

McTimson Thread Starter

OK, so I finally have a dual proecssor rig (Pentium 166's, 160MB RAM, ahahhha, I love it :)). Anyway, my question is, how do I know that XP is detecting both CPU's? At the boot screen, it says 2 processors detected, but when I go to the Windows control panel, it only says 166mhz, nothing about 2 processors. I'm running WinXP Pro, not Home, but I need to know if it's going to detect both CPU's, or if I should install Win2k on it....thanks!

2. prime2515102

prime2515102

If you installed XP on the machine with duallies installed (as apposed to installing it with only 1 CPU installed, or moving a hard drive over from another computer with only 1 CPU) then it should be working fine.

To make sure, you can download SiSoft Sandra and run any of the benchmarks. When the benchmark is done look for "SMP" with "yes" next to it (or something to that effect). If it says no, then you're only using 1 CPU.

Prime

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not on an xp box right now, however I think that if you look in device manager under computer it will list the hal that it is using. You can force the use of a different hal when doing an install; when setup says to hit the F6 key to load raid drivers, you hit the F5 key. It will allow you to choose which hal you want to use.

4. McTimson

McTimson Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, it is indeed using both CPU's, I just didn't realize how incredibly slow it would be (probably due to the lack of MMX). But now, I'm running THINK on it, and it automatically made 2 processes, which means that it's using 2 CPU's. Thanks again!

5. Rockn

Rockn

Finally got a dual CPU and only a 166. Ya know they make Dual Athlon and Intel motherboards now? A single processor in the 800MHz range will outperform your old 166...what's the point?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!