1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Router Configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rpndt1, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rpndt1

rpndt1 Thread Starter

Is there any security benefit (extra firewall, etc) from using two routers to connect to the internet. For example, this computer connects to port 1 on my Netgear. From the WAN port, a wire connects the port 4 of my Dlink. The WAN port of my DLink connects, of course, to my modem and the Internet. second question...how do I access the secondary router. Anytime I type in "192.168.0.1", I only access the DLink interface. (I was confused about configuring the Static IP on the secondary Netgear so I left it as is) Any ideas/ suggestions. Can I somehow use this dual router to my benefit?

I have a Netgear (RP614) and DLink (DI 714P+). Networking has always somewhat eluded me, and I was wondering what benefits/unique configurations may be derived from two routers.

Here is the setup.

Thanks in advance

-R

2. coulterp

coulterp

None. Once you've NAT'ed once in the first router, what's the point of trying to do it again in a second router!
    In fact using two routers as you've pictured is just extra configurational grief to be had - as you have already found given you cannot access the second router.
    In short: no gain, lotta pain.

3. rpndt1

rpndt1 Thread Starter

at least it looks cool on my desk ;)

Thanks for the advice. So there is nothing I can really do with an extra router?
    Could you explain about the "NAT?" please, also, just for future reference?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you want to protect a subset of your machines on a LAN from others, still allowing all to have shared Internet, you can use that router. Another use, one that I'm using here, is to have two wireless routers, one at each end of a large house. They provide coverage for the whole house with good signal strength. For that application:

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

5. coulterp

coulterp

Agree with johnwill; you could use your two routers like that. But if your network consists of 2 PCs then two separate LANS is not a lot of use! :D

NAT - Network Address Translation. NAT, among other things, provides a type of firewall by hiding yor internal IP address from the outside world. NAT translates your public IP to a subnet of private IP addresses allowing you to run multiple PCs off a single external IP address.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/320007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice